1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video file not transfering completely out of my external hard drive

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by CSensible, May 14, 2012.

1. CSensible

CSensible Member

I have a file that I converted from laser disc to AVI. The total length was 20 gig but cut in two pieces. I transfered the files to a Seagate 1 Tarabyte hard drive for storage but now cannot get it to fully transfer back to any PC. The bigger part of the two is over 15 gigs and when there is about 9 gigs left the transfer stops. One new thing I notice that if I play the file back from the HD it plays just fine without a problem.

Is there any way to get this out or fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I may be completely wrong, but I'd suggest that's more likely a problem arising from the HDD you're transferring the file back to. Have you been able to attempt transferring the 15GB file elsewhere at all (slightly tedious, I know)?

How many times have you tried copying the file? Is it always in exactly the same place, or just after a reasonable amount of time spent attemptedly copying?

To state the obvious, presumably you've checked there is enough space available on the target drive?

3. CSensible

CSensible Member

Yes, I have tried it on many computers. As a matter of fact, this is a new note book I have tried on. I even tried copying the file to a different location on the hard drive it was on thinking maybe I can tranfer the copy but it always stops at the same point. Everything else from that hard drive seems to be transfering fine. Just out of precaution though, I am backing up everything on something else now.

I really want that file though.

Thank you

4. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

ive just sent a 2tb seagate back after 6 months of use it packed in and i lost all data couldnt even get a format on it and then run a data recovery, i could transfer over 20 a gig at a time no probs, look on google for seatools, it checks your drive to see if its fully working

5. CSensible

CSensible Member

Thanks, I'll try that.

6. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

7. CSensible

CSensible Member

Okay. I'm running the test now to repair bad sectors if any. It's still running. Looks like a long one.

8. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

least you got that far lol my drive wouldn't even test. hope yours is ok

9. CSensible

CSensible Member

Thanks, but from all the research I did, I wont buy another Seagate. This particular Seagate was reaired under waranty after having it for 2 months. Now when I tried installing the firmware (which I rarely do)it was only compatible with 32 bit. I looked for 64 and Seagate din't even do updates for it and no support was found.

The only reason I was going to instal the Seagate firmware was just trying anything to move that file. Normally with hard drives I just use generic windows drivers...

10. CSensible

CSensible Member

That's it. It ran a third of the way and FAILED. I am going to try it again and see what happens.

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'm sorry you've found that the drive is corrupted - it sounded the more likely option.

You could try booting a linux live cd. Linux usually sees drives in a less forgiving way than Windows and you have the option to copy files while ignoring read errors etc. Google is your friend for that, though.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it's probably worthwhile trying some native Windows recovery software first.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  12. CSensible

CSensible Member

I'll try that. Never ran a Linux OS but I'll download a copy. The Seatools just aren't repairing the problem. Keeps failing. Now I am going to scan it for possible virus's and transfer what I can out and just format the whole drive and go from there. I banking that I will be getting a new drive in the next few days.

Any suggestions on a new drive?