1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video files to VHS? I'm totally lost.

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Mrock, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Mrock

Mrock Guest

I checked the other threads..and they seem advanced for me. I've got a Video Capture card - The only name I can get off it is 'H.32x PCI'..I bought it off ebay..put it in....and haven't had many troubles - until now. I bought it with the intention of making skateboarding videos. IE. Ripping clips off the tape...editing...putting back onto a tape. I cannot do this! I've tried almost everything imagineable...and have just about come to the conclusion I need more hardware. My cap. card has a 'S-Video'....mic..speaker..and the normal video plug I use. Can anyone suggest anything? I thought I had this figured out, but it's beyond me. I appreciate any help I can get..I'm hoping to get deep into this...thanks a ton.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

You need to have a video card that has both, TV in and TV out.

First you use TV in to capture the tapes to your harddrive -- we have a relatively easy guide that covers the basics of TV capture process in here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/musicvideo_guide_part_1_capture.cfm

(btw. you need helluva lot of HDD space for this)

And then you need to use the TV out feature of your card (to get the picture from your computer to your TV or VCR). Turn this one on from somewhere (normally in display settings under control panel), select the clips you want to play with Windows Media Player, switch to full screen mode, start recording with your VCR and start playback from your computer.

3. Mrock

Mrock Guest

I found this thing...SVGA in/out. You plug your monitor into it, then use the VGA out, to plug it back into the monitor....then it has a Video out (VCR/TV)....to which it feeds the signal I guess. This sounds perfect for what I need...and rather than take up another PCI slot..I'd rather use this...that helped a lot though. If this thing doesn't work...I'll just buy another caard...thanks!