1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video on Demand

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Ghost623, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Ghost623

Ghost623 Member

I am taking my 300+ dvd collection, and creating a video on demand network in my house. I just purchased the MG-350HD media extender which can play just about every file format imaginable. I plan on buying a couple TB drives for all the storage.

Even tho the media gateway will play vob files directly, I want to try to save some space without losing quality. I plan on streaming this to my HDTV and possibly upconverting to 1080i (all my tv will support).

What is the best way to rip and shrink the file without losing a whole lot of quality in sound and video?

Thanks

2. Ghost623

Ghost623 Member

So what I have done so far is used the DVDFab program to only get the movie and cut out the rest of the added features. I then purchased the divx encoder, and re-encoded the rip. The divx file came out to be about 2 gig in the high def mode. When I did the file stats on it, it only showed it as 2 Channel Audio and not 5.1. Did I do something wrong? When I told DVDFab to grab it, I told it to grab the AC3/5.1 English channel. I played it, and it did sound ok, just showed it in MP3 2 Channel Audio....

Is this the best way to go, or is there a better option of doing this? I am ok with purchasing a piece of software that will do this, I just want it to all be legit when it comes down to it before I get much farther into this project.

Thanks