1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video only showing up as 7 seconds but is actually longer

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Ducky2002, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Ducky2002

Ducky2002 Member

Ok, I'm in the process of editing a video that I shot, and I'm completely stumped on this one. I shot a video clip that is approximately 33 seconds in length, but Windows Media Player only recognizes it as being 7 seconds long (although it plays the entire thing past the supposed end of the video). Now, this has been going on for a few weeks now and was really nothing more than a nuisance to me, but now there's a new twist. Whenever I'm editing in Adobe Premiere 6.5, when I try and import that clip, it only shows 7 seconds of it (7.03 to be exact). What is the deal? Perhaps a bad codec or something?

Thanks in advance...hope i get some answers soon. :)

2. Ducky2002

Ducky2002 Member

Ok I just figured it out. I know there's a lot of people having this same problem. I was able to identify the codec giving me the problem because, well, it was being stubborn when I tried to delete it. You will have to boot into Safe Mode with the command prompt, then go to your C:/Windows/System32/ folder and delete the mpeg2dmx.ax codec. Then, reboot, and everything is back to normal.

3. skru_fase

skru_fase Member

Ducky, and anyone else that can help, I am having the same problem, but the fix mentioned didn't work for me. I have also re-installed all my codecs with no results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  4. Jonfai

Jonfai Member

I have this problem also but I dont even have that codec on my computer! Is there any other way to fix it?

5. skru_fase

skru_fase Member

i still havent figured anything out... i do know for sure that it isn't a file problem as i was able to burn the movies to dvd and they play fine on my dvd player. i have posted on a couple of forums with no luck so far...

6. skru_fase

skru_fase Member

jonfai, and anyone else that is experiencing this problem, someone from another site referred my to this site:

www.videolan.org

dl the player. this player plays all the files media player couldn't.

7. Jonfai

Jonfai Member

it works, thanks alot! Thats so weird though...why would that be a problem inherant to media player and divx player? ....strange...

8. skru_fase

skru_fase Member

i don't think its related to any particular media player, i think it is somehow a codec problem?? i have tried about 5 different players (aside from this one) and they all had the exact same problem, and all of these other players would have used the same codecs. im not sure if maybe something is corrupted and not replaced my updating codecs. the new player seems to get around that...

glad it worked