1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Output resolution

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by ramone161, Dec 30, 2003.

1. ramone161

ramone161 Guest

sorry to bother you all with what is probably a fairly basic question. i have a minidv camcorder and have just edited it with the software it came with (imagemixer VCD). Its all fine but the resolution isn't exactly hollywood worthy. it seems like the image is being captured at 320 x 240. i've edited it into an MPEG-1 to make a VCD.

and so to the question(s):

1. does imagemixer only capture at 320 x 240?
    2. do MPEG1(s) have to be 320 x 240?
    3. are all VCDs 320 x 240?

this is all mystifying to a newbie. one other thing...assuming that imagemixer isn't great because it came free, what is a good budget editing package?

thanks everyone and happy new year!!

2. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

ok , first of mpeg one can be any size, (i'm sure thers a limit but 320*240 aint it)

secondaly VCD format is very strict and 320*240 is the AMerican standard (NTSC) however it can also be 352*288 (PAL) UK and Europe standrd which is also valid DVD frame (half mode)

but mpeg 1 is an old codec, mpeg2 (used in DVD's) is a much better improvement on mpeg1

3. ramone161

ramone161 Guest

thanks shorty

i guess the problem is with the encoding software. i think i'll buy a dvd writer drive and start making mpeg 2s to burn onto dvds. if i understand this correctly then that should improve the quality of the picture dramatically.

4. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

you could also make a svcd which will give you better images than a vcd--some standalones will run svcd's also.

this is an improvement prior to getting a dvd burner.

5. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

If you have a minDV you should be capturing via firewire at 720*576 (PAL) and it should be a .avi file at 25mbs which means a one hour video file will take up about 11 Gigs of hard disk space, you should find the quality is as the orginal as it is a data dump or copy of the stored data on the miniDV tape.

I think you need to invest in some more slighlty better NLE (Non-Linear-Editing) software, try ULEAD video studio as an inroduction upto medium skill level then you can step up to more 'pro' softare like FCP or Adobe Premier and or Vegas 4.

If you really want to start basic and have XP why not try using the free windows movie maker it allows you to connect your miniDV (via firewire) and will allow some nice edinting and cuts fades ad title and then burn to CD or transfer back to miniDV or encode a vdideo file in .wmv