1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video playback in Linux

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by atomicxl, Feb 13, 2008.

1. atomicxl

atomicxl Guest

How is the video playback on the PS3 when running Linux? My goal is to not have to convert/remux anything but just load a program and it'll play basically whatever I throw at it and run it smoothly. I know that with the standard OS, alot of remuxing is involved to get stuff to play and sometimes you have to re-encode.

I'm considering either buying a PC to do this (i'll buy a Blu-Ray drive for it and install my current graphics card) or a PS3. My current PC does this now, but its a pain not having it at my desk, but its also a pain to not be able to watch all my HD stuff on my HDTV. The PS3 method would be about $100-$200 cheaper and has gaming potential, but its pointless if video playback isn't strong.

Has anyone else done this? Is the playback as smooth as it would be on a PC?

2. ps3dev

ps3dev Member

great on yellow dog with vlc player a true work of art and free to :)

3. ps3dev

ps3dev Member

forgot to add yellow dog can run on hdmi on 720p or 1080p instead of standard hope this helps

4. atomicxl

atomicxl Guest

I appreciate it. I'm an anime junkie and a HD junkie so most of the content I want is either in DivX or its MKV/MP4, 720p or 1080p H.264, AAC/MP3/AC3 audio, and subtitles. My 360 can handle everything with a bit of remuxing, but neither it or the PS3 (default OS) support any of the subtitles with MP4 files so its kinda a bummer. If the PS3 in Linux can handle that with no issues, i'll probably be buying one within the next month or two. Heres hoping everything goes well. This will be kick ass if I can get a torrent program working on it at the same time. It really will replace my need for a media center PC.

Oh, do you know if the Yellow Dog on the PS3 can export 5.1 AAC or AC3 audio over HDMI in a format that a home theater system can work with?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
  5. ps3dev

ps3dev Member

un let me think i am not sure what you mean but here goes yeah it can export the mp3 i know that and dual channel as well so ur safe just read up on vlc and get the right codec and make sure its ps3 compatable i think it should say something like upp ppu o something like that for cell cpu's

and i also am an anime junkie lol