1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video playback lag all formats

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Wyattspop, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

My friends, my oldest PC. an HP Vista laptop (specs 3 gigs stock ram, AMD dual-core 2.10 ghz processor service pack 2 with 187 gb free of 287) can't manage to play back any video files (downloaded movies) in AVI, MKV, doesn't matter which, (MKV is worse, Bluray files too) I've tried VLC and Win Media Player, the video lags and freezes constantly. It doesn't happen when playing discs. I reformatted not long ago, but will again if needed. The lappie does run hot since it's 110 here this week, but my troubles began prior. I can buy a lappie fan if needed. Suggestions please? I have K-lite codec pack. Thank you

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

i'd look at graphic card as the cause,i take it an avi xvid is ok but an avi that used x264 as encoder gives issues,you mention mkv & bluray get worse that to me is graphic card

dvd's you mention are what sd (normal dual layer dvd) or bluray.
    if normal dvd,use your own pc convert main movie to mkv by using vidcoder ,use mpeg 4 as encoder set the size of video manually to 3800gb,select only 1 audio stream,change no other settings then play it on the laptop once encoded,if it can't play there's a more serious hardware issue at play as that can play on my original xbox (2004) which has shitty specs

mediainfo can be used to check the video files by right clicking on them if klite was installed unless it was unchecked on install

speedfan or speccy can be used to check system specs & temps,speedfan i think can be used to increase speed of fan if necessary however better to check manufacturers specs before you do

anyone else feel free to jump in..lol..

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Wyattspoppa, what is the make & model# of that hp laptop? how much ram is assigned to the onboard video? what does it show in device manager for the videocard?