1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video plays slightly too fast

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by max777, Oct 12, 2004.

1. max777

max777 Member

Anyone notice this problem? It seems to be with some xvid or divx videos I've downloaded. The speed difference is so slight that you really can't tell until you watch the original and hear that the theme song is in a lower key and the voices are lower.

2. midflinx

midflinx Member

I'm guessing you have files playing at 25fps but they were filmed at 24fps. For European PAL TVs the film is simply sped up the 4.16%. The sound is also sped up and is a half-step too high. You need a player that will slow it down to 95.9 or 96%. BSplayer will if the video was encoded in divx5 or xvid. The reason I just registered is my own related problem. Divx3 and 4 video gets out of sync when slowed and the sync varies. BSplayer can use winamp plugins, like the "fourier pitch tempo" found on winamp's site. This slows the video/audio properly, but I think because of the additional overhead, the audio plays a fraction of a second too slow. Now I'm looking for some program to adjust the timing of the video and make it wait so it is synced. As far as I know, mPlayer for windows lets users adjust the timing like I want, but doesn't slow the playback like we need. Also, you can use GSpot to check if your files are divx3, divx5 or xvid.

Can anyone help me/us out?

3. max777

max777 Member

My guess is that people are not encoding the files properly, and the difference is just too slight to notice. I'd find it odd that the decoders are in error since they function the same way in any timezone. ;)

The solution might be to find a tool that changes the framerate info of the file without re-encoding it.

4. midflinx

midflinx Member

Yeah, my guess is some people in the UK who didn't know any better used 25fps by mistake. I don't think changing the framerate info would work because audio will not play any faster or slower without a specific .dll. Winamp doesn't come with one by default, and neither does Media Player 9. Playing the video faster would cause it to lead the audio by more and more. Like I said, my only problem is with older divx3 files.

5. midflinx

midflinx Member

6. max777

max777 Member

But that doesn't actually fix the file?

7. midflinx

midflinx Member

No it doesn't fix the files. Unless I'm misunderstanding what's wrong or what you're trying to accomplish, you shouldn't want to alter the files. If the sound is too high pitched, you'd have to re-compress the audio. That's lossy. You'd be taking already compressed audio and compressing it again. That won't sound as good. Of course if you want to bring the files to friends' houses to watch, loading all this software on different computers every time would be a pain. If you want to fix the file you should look in the General Video Discussion forum. http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/4