1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Rate Calculation

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by gkrshnn, Nov 12, 2003.

1. gkrshnn

gkrshnn Member

PBS will soon air a 3 hr show on Lee Harvey Oswald. I would like to capture the show and put it on 1 DVD. Is there a formula that lets me calculate the video capture bit rate (looks as though the audio is a constant at 334 kbps) so that I can accommodate the whole show on one DVD? Thanks.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Just get a Bitrate calculator..It will tell you what bitrate to use for the length of Video so it will fit on a DVD-R..My calculation says at 180 minutes of Video and the Audio Bitrate at 384kbs you would need a Bitrate of 3394kbs to totally Fill a DVD at 4.37gb..Are you useing a Analogue Capture Card to capture the Video to your HD?? and Are you going to Capture Directly to Mpeg2 for DVD or are you going to capture to a different format then Encode the Captured file to Mpeg2 for DVD??

3. gkrshnn

gkrshnn Member

Thanks, that’s useful. I have an analogue capture card (WinTV PVR 250) and it captures directly to MPEG2. Does this make a difference?

The bit rate of 3394kbs appears to be marginally higher than the standard for SVCD. So, I expect the production to be pretty decent.

By the way, what are the lower and upper limits on the bit rate when it comes to (DVD) capturing? I mean, for the sake of an argument, can we go as low as, say, 1000kbps, to fit a 5 hour programme on a DVD? That wouldn’t quite look like a DVD, would it?

Where can I find the “bit rate calculator?”

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Max Bitrate for DVD is 9800kbs includeing the Audio Stream(s)...And you can get 6 hours of Video on a DVD Because DVD also Supports Mpeg1/2 at 352+240 and a Max bitrate of 1800kbs, This is called the SIF Format...The Quality when done Properly is between VCD and SVCD...But with a Hardware encoder at this Bitrate it wouldn"t produce that good results...You can get a Bitrate calculator Pretty easy ,Just do a Google search for one called "Power Bit"....When I capture directly to Mpeg what I"ve been doing that has proven to produce the best results is to capture my files at the Max resolution and Bitrate I can(720+480 15,000kbs) then re-encode the Files to the Format and Bitrate I want with a High Quality Software encoder...It"s Just something you can try...Cheers

5. gkrshnn

gkrshnn Member

This is great, thanks. When I did a Google search on what you suggested, “Power Bit,” I got the following:

“Tools, Hand Tools, Screwdriver Bits.”

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Marginally hehe, standard svcds hit the 2250-2376 range hehe :)