1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video stops and audio continues during playback and encoding

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by joe777, May 18, 2004.

1. joe777

joe777 Member

I have had this nigly prob from time to time.During playback of some avi/divx files,the picture freezes,but the audio keeps playing.When you move the time slider of the player past the point of the freeze(before it freezes) then the rest of the movie will play.This is sole destroying when trying to encode the file to dvd,the video stops and i end up encoding the audio only.Sometimes you can get 1 hr of the file and other times you can get to 15mins from the end.I thought maybe it could be the encoder but i tried a few incl;main concept/nero vision/tmpg but all react the same.I then tried to cut out the frames that were freezing but didn't have a lot of success.After all that,my question is,what is the best way to go,repair the dodgy file(if it is possible) or cut out a small section.And could you help with any tips on soft for repairing or cutting avi's/divx files.Or could all this point to dodgy codecs.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

This is a common symptom of Corrupted DivX Xvid files...
    You can try one of the Many Fixing utilities out there that sometimes help with Problems like this..
    Programs Like "DivFiX" and "DivX Anti-Freeze" and there are a few other Video fixers out there but sometimes these problems can"t be fixed....good Luck

PS: Virtual-Dub has a "Scan Video Stream for Errors" feature and when it finds Bad Frames it will mask them and you can make a Copy of the File with the errors omited which sometimes fixes the problem....