1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video to DVD without using 100's of discs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Goldie9, May 5, 2004.

1. Goldie9

Goldie9 Member

I have a complete TV series on Video tape (23 episodes) which is approx 16 hours of material. I can transfer this analouge video onto the pc and into digital via pinnacle moviebox dv, however, I wish to get the series onto about 4 dvd discs not 8-10. A studio would increase storage by dual layering discs. I can take a dual layer disc run it through DVD Shrink and fit it onto a single layered disc. which was how I thought I would solve my problem - hence qns above.
    How would you go about it??
    Regards

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can fit about 4-6 hours on a single DVD if you use a different DVD format...
    Most poeple Make Standard Full D1 DVD"s that only get them about 2 hours on each DVD but if you use the Half D1 DVD standard you can get 4 hours and if you use the SIF format you can get 6 hours, I wouldn"t recomend useing the SIF Format because the quality isn"t that good ,about VCD Quality but the Half D1 standard has about SVCD Quality and will work well for getting 4 hours on a DVD with Good Quality...

To do this you first Transfer the VHS to your PC in DV AVI format, then use a Good Quality Mpeg encoder Like "Tmpgenc" or the "MainConcept Encoder" and encode the DV AVI file to Mpeg2 at 352+480(352+576 for Pal) useing a Video Bitrate of 2350kbs and an audio bitrate of 192 useing Mpeg Layer 2 audio at 48000HZ and a 4:3 aspect ratio....
    After you have encode the Files to Mpeg2 you would use a simple DVD authoring Program Like DVD-Lab or even simpler is "Tmpgenc DVD author" to add your menu"s and Chapter points and to Burn the Movies to DVD....
    The most important Part of all this for getting the best quality useing this DVD format is the quality of the Mpeg encoder so make sure you use one of the Ones I mentioned or one of a very few others, and make sure you do not use a DVD authoring Program that re-encodes the files because that will also ruin the quality.....Cheers

3. Goldie9

Goldie9 Member

Thanks Minion IU have successfully done as you have instructed.
    I have been able to reduce 3 and a 1/2 hours into mpeg2 of 3.8gb which will fit onto a dvd-r no worries. I am now having problem writing to disc. I have downloaded tmpgenc but keep getting an error.
    I have tried nero 6 but that informs me for a file this large I need to use UDF. When I do so my dvd player will not recognise the disc.
    I bow to your wisdom

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

You Can"t just Burn the Mpeg2 file to DVD and have it play in your DVD Player...
    The Mpeg2 file has to be authored to DVD useing a DVD authoring Program which will add the Chapter Points and let you design your menu and add buttons and links to and from the Menu to other menu"s or to Chapters or you can make a simple DVD with Just the Main menu and one Button Link going to the start of the movie...
    The one I usually use is Called "DVD-Lab" and a 30 day demo can be downloaded here :
    http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/"
    It will let you add chapters and menu"s and it will finally burn the Movie to DVD For you so you will not need Nero and DVD-Lab has a Good help file that will teach you how to use the Program....
    It can make Very simple DVD"s and Very complex ones so it is good for beginners and it is good for poeple who do a Lot of DVD"s...
    DVD-Lab will also allow you to Put SVCD"s on to DVD without re-encodeing the video so there is no quality loss and the DVD"s will play on most all DVD Players and you can get up to 3 Full SVCD Movies on each DVD and SVCD Quality when comeing from a DVD Rip is very good......Cheers

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

minion,
    is dvdlab a better program compared to say tmpgenc dvd author or are they on equal par.(i've been trying tmpgenc and the dvd author but have not tried dvdlabs)

andmerr

6. Goldie9

Goldie9 Member

Minion you truely are the shit
    Many thanks for your assistance
    I have been able to achieve what I have been trying to do for some time now
    Thanks again

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Goldie9: Im glad everything has worked out for you....
    andmerr: Yes DVD-Lab is a Better Program than Tmpgenc DVD author, It has many more features and it can make much more complex DVD"s...

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

cool i'll give the trial version a whirl,
    thanks for the info