1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video tuner cards?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by axlman, Apr 19, 2005.

1. axlman

axlman Regular member

I see that companies are still making TV cards. Are there any that will work 100% with cable? I mean, where I live, it's digital cable, so without a convertor box, I can't get any channels higher than channel 22.

Are there cards that would not require the cable box to be ran through the tv card in order to get all the channels that i already have?

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Sorry but no. I think its funny that TV sets still come "Cable Ready" The way Cable is done now makes it hard to make a card you can use for years to come. Some TV sets now have Digital cable ready but they will also fall victim to one problem. About every 5 to 6 years the digital cable signal will change. You will have to replace your exsisting box for the new ones. Those TVs I mentioned will no longer with with digital cable Unless they are given some sort of flashable EPROM. I have not seen a PC TV card able to do it.

-Del

3. wheelman7

wheelman7 Member

Actually there is a way to get all the channels you want on you TV tuner. With ATI’s TV Pro and TV Wonder Elite they both come with an S-video/Composite video [bold]IN[/bold] attachment that works with there TV tuner. All you need to do is have the S-video or composite video running from you cable box to the S-video or Composite [bold]IN[/bold] and you get all the channels.

But you still have to change channels on the box and stuff, so it limits some of the functionality of the software, but you get all your channels so it’s all good.

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Yes Wheelman7 that is correct. He was looking for a card to view all chanels without needing a box. This is why I did not mention what you just did.

-Del

5. axlman

axlman Regular member

thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. My question has been very well answered. Thanks again!