1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

videocam editing

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by HazelB, Apr 18, 2007.

1. HazelB

HazelB Member

I've been asked to recommend upgrading a small non-profit office from one ancient PC running 28.8 dial-up to include:
    *4 general office use computers
    *1 computer dedicated to videocam editing and DVD burning for progress tracking and archiving nero-developmental therapy clients. (That was a sentence and a half, I know!)

I am a state away physically so I can't be there to help, but I know one therapist personally and think their work is very deserving. The general office PCs are easy. However...don't know the applications that work for their video needs.

They are writing for a Boeing grant. I think Dell Red Hat is a good option. Good overall support, but again, what about the video editing?

Any suggestions?

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

There is an application (totally free) called Kino.. http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7664

and a download here http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Kino-3742.shtml

It is usually packaged for most flavours of linux..

As for making a dvd out of the resulting .avi or .mpg file that is a whole different ballgame.

ps.. redhat support isn't very good... saying that, most paid linux support isn't very good. Better to get really hot with the applications and then try to set everything up idiot proof..

If you want to know more about dvd creation with linux leave a hit in my shoutbox and I will get back to you.

3. HazelB

HazelB Member

janrocks, thank you ...I really think they should go Apple for now. This info confirms my assessment. You are the source for Linux so if you can't find it, it ain't there.

DVD stuff? I'm not ready yet, but maybe soon.