1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VideoEdit Converter Pro vs MainConcept Mpeg Encoder

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Gardener3, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Gardener3

Gardener3 Member

I downloaded the trial versions of both, and used both to convert a 5.9 GB avi file (from a portion of a VHS tape that was 26.5 minutes long).

The VECP took just over an hour to encode, while the MCME took just17 minutes. The mpeg file created by VECP was 2.34 GB, while the mpeg file created by MCME was only 1.49 GB. Why the difference? If it is because of the bitrate, I would not be able to confirm, since the trial version of VECP does not indicate bitrate.

This is really strange: although both encoders show a capture time of 26.5 minutes, the actual amount of video captured by VECP was only 17.8 minutes, whereas the amount of video captured by MCME was the correct 26.5 minutes.

I did not see any noticeable difference in the mpeg video quality for either.

The MCME was more user friendly than the VECP.

What mpeg encoder would one recommend that costs under $100 with an encoding speed similar to the MCME?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Odviously Just from the Tests you Did it shows that the MainConcept encoder Is a Far Superior encoder, I Try to make it a Point in testiong every encoder that i come across because I do a Lot of Mpeg encodeing and allways try to achieve the highest Quality ,and I haven"t heard of the VECP encoder so It isn"t very popular and Probably for good reason...
    Out of all of the encoders I have tried there are only 4 I would recomend For Overall Features and encodeing speed and encodeing Quality and they are the "MainConcept encoder" as it has the speed and a Lot of Features but is short on a few Options and Produces Good Quality..The other Is "Tmpgenc" which has the Quality and the Most Features of most any encoder But it Lacks in speed and can be buggy at times ,The Next is "Canopus Procoder" which is a High end Encoder that can handle allmost every Format and encode to allmost any Format, it has extremely High Quality but isn"t as Fast as some encoders and is Light on a few Features, it is also very expensive at about $700 ,And the Last one and My favorite is CinemaCraft Encoder 2,67, it is by Far the fastest encoder and the Highest Quality Encoder But it is also the Hardest to use because it doesn"t have a Lot of Features , Like it has no resize filter or really any usefull filters at all and it only accepts AVI files and Frameserver files so you have to know how to frameserve to use it Properly so it is only for more advanced users plus the encoder sells for $2000....Well anyways you are makeing a good choice useing the Mainconcept encoder and compared to other encoders of the same quality it is a Good Price....Cheers

3. Gardener3

Gardener3 Member

Minion,

Again, thanks for your valuable input.

Garndener