1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing DVD+R on a DVD Player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pjcewolf, Jan 21, 2007.

1. pjcewolf

pjcewolf Member

We just installed a MadDog MegaStor internal DVD burner on our computer. We are trying to put together a photo album presentation and have burned it to a DVD+R disc. Unfortunately, we've found that our DVD player won't read it. It reads rental DVD's and books on CD but doesn't seem to read the CDs or DVDs that we have burned. Any suggestions? We really don't want to pay a fortune for another DVD player.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi pjcewolf
    DVD Players are pretty cheap now but let's check a few things - may just be the media.

Does the player support +R discs? Most do now but you can check the make and model here: videohelp - dvd players.

What the model of the Mad Dog - we can check that and see if it has the booktype ability. That way you can booktype the +R disc to dvd-rom increasing compatibility.

What brand of media are you using? How about the burn speed used?

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are two things you have to consider...... what program did you use to put those photos onto the DVD5, because it might just be the program that is preventing the viewing of the photos with the DVD player.....
    second is the media......use MIJs (Made In Japan) and try to booktype your +R media to DVD-ROMs, like original DVDs.
    about Booktyping:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    about compatibility:
    there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

now..... if your DVD player can play JPGs then just burn your DVD as a data DVD and just add the files you want on the DVD... which would be image files. Your player should be able to play them. and I just noticed the Binkie gave you good advise of buying a new DVD player...... they are cheap now and you can buy one for 50-60 bucks and it would play everything!

HI BINKIE!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hey IHoe :)

Good advice there!

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

IHoe probably hit upon the problem. What program was used to burn the photos and what program is being used to try to view the photos? Sounds more like a software issue than hardware.

6. pjcewolf

pjcewolf Member

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate your help. I used PowerPoint to put together a presentation of photos and short movies. Maybe there's a better program to use. Roxio came with the MadDog DVD burner, so we used that. Still haven't mastered that system. We bought Memorex DVDs, which I'm realizing may have not been the best choice.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Maybe on the Memorex, but that doesn't sound like the problem. Let's go over this one step at a time. When you put the DVD in the drive, does the PC recognize it and show there is content on the DVD or does the PC not recognize the disc at all. Click Computer and check the drive with the DVD there.

With photos, many people use CD instead of DVD. It would take a lot of photos to fill up a DVD.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

BTW if you would do me a favor. Download DVD Identifier, it's a little freeware app just for identifying the manufacturer of DVD media. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ Then use it to check your Memorex media and tell us who manufactured it.

9. pjcewolf

pjcewolf Member

Hi PacMan777, right now I'm logged in from my work computer. I'll try the link you sent when I get home tonight. FYI... after I burned the photos to both a CD and a DVD, I did put them back into the computer just to see what would happen. It opens up PowerPoint showing those pictures.

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

but if you're trying to use powerpoint on your TV from your DVD player...... wouldn't that cause a non read?

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Okay, now I think I'm catching on. You're recording your photos to DVD and then trying to play them on a standalone DVD player. My question is, does powerpoint reproduce the photo images in a video format that will play on a standalone player? Check and make sure the software supports that function. I can view PhotoParade discs with photos on my PC, but they won't play on the standalone.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Here's an update, I was curious about software that would do the conversion and I found a freeware program. At the same time I noticed a post that covers what I mentioned in better detail.

IRFANVIEW
    http://www.irfanview.com/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  13. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Try -R blanks.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

MysticE
    The discs read on a PC. Sounds more like software than media. A simple run of the free program I found should tell.