1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl to Digital

Discussion in 'Audio' started by tomasz11, Feb 5, 2005.

1. tomasz11

tomasz11 Member

I have read some many stories about this process but no one as of yet has explained it clearly. Always a discussion occurs about wheather or not mp3 can be as good as a CD. Can someone please tell me the best way to get my vinyl to a digital format. I have a Mac G5 and a Gina 3 audio interface and Logic Express.
    Thanks

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

The process is quite simple, and you should get good results considering your audio interface and programs. Sorry you are burdened by using a Mac though... Me personally I use Pro Tools 6, but Logic is good too.

Your audio interface most likely takes line inputs, so you need to be able to convert the signal from your turntable and boost it to line level. You can purchase a phono to line level converter, or if you have a high quality amp/receiver, you can take the record pre-outs from that. I don't know what type of inputs your Gina 3 accepts, so you'll need the appropriate cable to go from RCAs to 3.5 mini, 1/4", TRS...

Now all you have to do is set your input settings in Logic, and record away. I collect old vinyl (mainly old jazz, classic rock, and classical), and I backup around 10 albums a week. This is my method: I use a Technics 1200 turntable connected to my Yamaha receiver, take the pre-outs from that and connect it via XLR into my MBOX, and record it in Pro Tools. I also have WAVES plugins called X Click, X Crackle, and X Noise which help reduce the pops and clicks. Be sure to do a thorough cleaning of your LPs before ripping.

After you've recorded in Logic, just export as 44.1k stereo wave (or aiff) so you can burn to CD if you want, or then convert it to mp3. I don't use macs, so I don't know what other mp3 encoders out there besides itunes, but if you do convert to mp3, make sure to use VBR (variable bit rate) at a minimum of 192kpbs.