1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viper GC - FIRST GAMECUBE MOD-CHIP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by ssjowowo, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Stormy15

Stormy15 Member

Here something from ps2ownz

Originally Posted by Saibot
    I have a last question about this 3rd Party BIOS. How is it possible to play copies/backups on Mini-DVDs? Because everything I heard until now, is that the copy protection has nothing to do with the BIOS. It is more a thing of the DVD-drive and it´s firmware.
    Thx,
    Saibot

Sanji:

a external ide dvd drive will be needed

Lol, this guy don't know what he speaks. if an Externam DVD Drive is needed, then not much people would buy a chip! The Administrator says a 3rdparty Bios will come out, forget this with external dvd drive ;)

greetz
    Stormy15

2. Mr69ways

Mr69ways Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2004
  3. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Good riddens finally a site to preorder from.I am not sure if it is fake or not,but I noticed that they are getting the modchips quicker in Europe.It could very well be possible that the site listed is legit.I was wondering how do you pay for Euro in Dollars though,will they accept dollars or does it have to be Euro.I think it is a good find though,and it is possible that Europe will get the chips before America will.I think 80 dollars though that is kinda alot for a chip,but it is on preorder also so that could be the preorder charge.Hmmm...if only we had an American modchip supplier that sold these modchips.

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

;) nevermind found XEtrade which will convert dollars to Euro,and is free of charge.I did the conversion also and this is what I got
    59.95 EUR Euro = 79.7462 USD
    United States Dollars
    1 EUR = 1.33021 USD 1 USD = 0.751760 EUR

I don't really know if I should preorder from Europe,but was expecting somewhere in America.It is looking like Europe is the only place that has the modchips lined up for sale.

5. Mr69ways

Mr69ways Guest

L-Burna, you won't see an american online retailer selling these. Closest you will get is Canada. I know Gamefreax is a reputable dealer but the price scares me (not knowing what the chip can and cannot do). By the way the will convert for you and ship to the USA. They accept Paypal(also C.O.D. if you are in Europe).

6. rfjr23

rfjr23 Member

ok so now the chip is available but what about install instuctions for those of us that would like to see what is involved and what about the bios. where can the bios be downloaded.

How exactly is this one gonna work similar to the PS2 or Xbox?

And when will they ship? I know it is pre order but does anyone know when they expect to actually start shipping these?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  7. indienemo

indienemo Guest

So you sure that sites legit? Has anyone preordered from them yet? I am in europe so it is no problem to me....also I think it is good they have started making bios's for the chip before its released, good to get the ball rolling!

8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Well from what I am looking at you install the chip which is 4 wires.You can get the install diagrams from this site http://www.eurasia.nu you have to be registered to access the install diagram though.After you install the chip it has a modchip then a parrallel port connector.The modchip is installed,and then you connect a wire that leads from the modchip out of the back of the GameCube to a board that has the port for a parrellel cord.You then connect the parrellel port with a parrellel cord to the back of your computer,so you can flash the chip.It also can be reflashed with different bios,so that is cool I thought.The http://www.eurasia.nu site also has the software for flashing the chip.I am currently trying to find the Mental Cube bios the hacked one,which allows mini-dvd support,but I doubt it would be public yet.It is still news not sure if there is a site that will host it.I have no clue as to when they will ship the chip,but from the progress it is making.It sounds promising that it will be better than streaming games with BBA and PSO.

9. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Another question that is on my mind is: once this comes out, does it render PSO compeltely utterly useless? Could you use their hacked bios and stream it and install it that way to save having to buy the chip if its solder and one time one use type thing?

10. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Nah probably not,the gamecube doesn't have a enough memory or access granted to store the bios on there without modchip use.I think if a harddrive was used it could be possible,but probably not unless maybe memory card exploit was used.I think it might be,but highly doubt someone would come up with a no mod solution real soon.

11. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Another reason why I think it won't happen is the fact that you probably don't want to overwrite the original bios.You still need that bios to boot your originals,and if you erased and installed the hacked bios on your gamecube.It would make it only able to play backups which would be a downfall.

12. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

L Burna, what makes you think that you wouldn't be able to play the originals with the hacked bios? This would contradict just about every mod chip made for all the consoles out there! I have a modded PS2 and I do about 6 xbox's every week and they play originals just fine?

13. muhmann

muhmann Member

You can play them. You just have to attach the Programmer-Board (or however youz want to call it) and deactivate the chip with the onboard Dip-switch. When the Board is removed, the chip is always activated.
    But in fact, there's no single word that you have to deactivate the chip for playing original games. So it could be, that it works also without dectivating the chip.
    But I wouldn't care. Where's the difficulty of leaving the Board attached to the GCN and using one single switch?

14. rfjr23

rfjr23 Member

this is from the site you listed L-Burna

quote from http://www.eurasia.nu
    We have recieved some exclusive inside info about the new third party flash BIOS for the Viper GC from a group of hackers known as Mental Cube. The viper was already shipped in limited quantities to some developers a couple of weeks ago, it seems they were hard at work :) A new release group, Mental Cube, have developed a hacked BIOS for Viper GC, called Cobra BIOS. The hacked BIOS will make it possible to play backups from Mini DVD-r, just by swapping with an original disc after the Cobra BIOS on screen prompt! Fun times ahead for all of us.... ;) Still don't believe it ? Well here at Maxconsole we've managed to obtain an EXCLUSIVE screenshot of the Cobra BIOS in action....

The way i understand this is that you have to swap with the original game right

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  15. rfjr23

rfjr23 Member

[​IMG]

here is a screen shot of the bios at work like stated in my lasy post from the same website

here is a little more info were that site got there info http://www.maxconsole.com/?mode=comments&newsid=3107

here at this site they say the bios is expected to be released this next week

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  16. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah rfjr23 it pulls the boot code off the original game,uses it like a boot disc(kinda like PS2 with the TOC refresh).I only said that the original bios wouldn't work from the question indienemo asked talking about sending the bios through BBA + PSO which would overwrite the original bios on the gamecube memory,making it only able to use one bios.It wasn't meant from the modchip,but was talking about a way around the modchip.The actual modchip has a bank switch on it,which acts on two memory banks.It uses one bank for the original,and then you can use the other bank for a different bios.The Mental Cube bios is the key to getting backups to work.It has been tested and has been said mini-dvd are supported with the bios from Mental Cube :).

17. indienemo

indienemo Guest

So it seems like the only problem will be finding places that sell those bastard mini-dvds then ;)

18. Turbo-Sol

Turbo-Sol Guest

i know a site to where u can get mini-dvds but you first have to tell me how to get all hooked up with everything. Like installsion and buying.

19. indienemo

indienemo Guest

sounds like a deal...if i knew the info you wanted :8

20. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

0_o a site where you can buy mini dvd-r discs here is a direct link for mini dvd-r discs at a good price http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-372&depa=0 .I don't think it would be a good idea to buy them yet though,because I am not sure what brand it will be able to take.It is possible to buy a brand of disc that won't work.The drive could be very picky like the Xbox is with some drives.You can check out http://www.meritline.com and http://www.newegg.com they normally have good deals on bundles.I can even get the Sony mini dvd-r discs at WalMart,but they are expensive as hell like 8 dollars a disc.