1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viper GC - FIRST GAMECUBE MOD-CHIP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by ssjowowo, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Turbo-Sol

Turbo-Sol Guest

i was thinking of searching the the search box mini dvd-r disks at www.shop4tech.com its around $2 a disk

2. udlras

udlras Guest

8 dollars for the secvurity that my little bro isn't gonna "lose" another game to one his friends is cheap!

3. indienemo

indienemo Guest

walmart that might work if i was actually in USA or canada ;)

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah udlras I agree I would rather have my backups on disc also to protect them,but 8 dollars is pretty expensive for one disc.If you think about it you could buy a Dual Layered disc for that much.Yeah indienemo you can order online instead of buying it offline.It is alot cheaper also if you order online like Turbo-Sol has said only 2 dollars a disc.It is actually a good deal 2 dollars for a mini dvd-r.

5. Turbo-Sol

Turbo-Sol Guest

ya if u order a lot at one time its only like $1.50 a disk. again its www.shop4tech.com

6. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

7. Turbo-Sol

Turbo-Sol Guest

so has any1 heard about installing guides or anything?

8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah Turbo-Sol you can find a install guide off of http://www.eurasia.nu ,but you are going to have to register to access it.I think Ritek discs are pretty good just my opinion though.I have been using them for PS2 and Xbox and they aint bad.I think other than that Sony or Verbatim are the top of line media,so if Ritek don't work I will probably try out Sony or Verbatim.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  9. philipman

philipman Regular member

How would you burn the games, would you like make your dvd burner burn backwords or would you just burn like normal. Also how would you open the gamecube it looks like it is tough to open, and any updates on were you can buy the mod chip.

10. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

That is a excellent question philipman how to open the GameCube.They sell a bit for the GameCube called GameBit off of some sites,not sure which one is reliable.I have also heard you can alter a regular bit to open the GameCube.If you look on the bottom of the GameCube they have some off the wall looking screw heads.I would probably just get the GameBit tool to open the GameCube,it cost about 15 dollars for the bit which is kinda steap though(I don't have any bit to alter to get out of buying the bit though that is why).If you can alter a bit to open the GameCube I would probably suggest using that instead.How to burn the games I am not really sure as of yet,but I think all you do is burn the image using Nero or something similiar.Then using the hacked bios plug in your original game to swap with,and then the backup it should then boot.I am just guessing on the boot method though.

11. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Hopefully theyll suplly something to open it up with the chip.... also, i dont care much about the quality of the mini dvd im looking for quantity not quality! XD

12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah but you can never be too sure that the cheaper discs will work.The drive could very well not read the cheaper discs right,just like the Xbox acts sometimes with certain brands of discs.I agree though quantity is better,but I have no clue what brand is going to work with the modchip.It might have to take the mini dvd-r silvers,not sure though.

13. indienemo

indienemo Guest

it would be quite funny if they had a sick little affiliation going with a dvd-r making company like it would only read their brand of discs :|

14. Turbo-Sol

Turbo-Sol Guest

has any1 gotten the modchip yet and messed around with it, i want to c some comments :D

15. Turrauko

Turrauko Member

No, no, no, playing back ups is one thing, now... running Linux is something else entirely!! The GameCube runs at 486MHz and has 40GB of RAM, that's more than enough to run X11! Patch a few cables and you got yourself a nice USB mouse and keyboard. All you'd need is to flash your BIOS to read off of a USB hard drive (also through one of the controller ports) or just use a LiveCD (compiled for the PPC, of course). It'd probably be better off as a thin client though, that is, running the OS and programs off of the network (via NFS).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  16. indienemo

indienemo Guest

haha, i think you mean 40mb mate ;)

17. Turbo-Sol

Turbo-Sol Guest

that sounds like too much work, i would rather get the mod-chip, guide, and backup cds off ur computer

18. rfjr23

rfjr23 Member

you can get the tool that looks like this.

[​IMG]

you cant find it at the local hardware store i have tried a number of placed

i got mine here and they are pretty dependable got mine with 5-7 buisness days http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20389&item=8135188541&tc=photo

you only get the tips not the screwdriver. I know it is a rip but that is the only place i found it there are 2 sizes 3.8 and 4.5 I got both but you only need the 4.5 once you get inside it is all phillips screwdriver at least mine was

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  19. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

you don't really need to buy the gamebit thing. i've used several times the pen trick and it worked fine when i removed the casing to paint it :) (it looks awsome btw!) just get an old plastic bic pen and remove the ink thing and burn the top of the pen until the plastic melts. then before it dries out place it on top of the screw and hold it for a few seconds until it dries out (you can try and turn it a bit to see if it is solid). then apply a small downward force and unscrew the screw! that's it..it saves you some money to use on blank discs :D!! if you want i can send you pictures of the procedure but it's a piece of cake

20. indienemo

indienemo Guest

sounds easy....;)