1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viper GC - FIRST GAMECUBE MOD-CHIP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by ssjowowo, Nov 24, 2004.

1. muhmann

muhmann Member

You just have to remove the four screws at the Bottom of the Cube. I used on of those BIC-biros. Just remove the blue cap and heat the clear plastic with a lighter until its melt. Press the melted plastic on one of the screws until it gets hard. Then you can open the cube. I don't think, it's a problem to open the cube. There's not much in it, you could break.

2. indienemo

indienemo Guest

will this not work on my PAL console then?

3. Turpulus

Turpulus Member

Will the gamecube read Ridata 4X mini DVD-r media?

4. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

quote from NFO

³ THE MEDIA ³
    ³ ³
    ³ The GC drive only eats DVD-R, MINI-DVD-R and single-layer silver DVD, ³
    ³ it doesn't work with + media or DL at all. ³
    ³ But, like Xbox thomson drive, it is very "sensitive" to the brand of ³
    ³ media you're using. Some are working better than others, some even ³
    ³ NOT AT ALL! So better check what media other users recommend. ³
    ³ ³
    ³ After a few tests here is what we think: ³
    ³ ³
    ³ - For DVD-R, most media are working, except some cheap no-names. On ³
    ³ some drives only the best media is working really fine. ³
    ³ ³
    ³ - BUT FOR MINI-DVD-R it's more tricky. We tested the following brand: ³
    ³ SONY DVD-R 1.4GB handycam: doesn't work ³
    ³ TDK DVD-R 1.4GB scratchproof: doesn't work ³
    ³ MAXELL DVD-R 1.4GB: sometime boots, but then loose sync ³
    ³ DATAWRITE DVD-R 1.4GB: on some drives it works 100% like the ³
    ³ best DVD-R, but on some other drives it just can't sync ³
    ³ (when it does its working perfectly).

http://www.ps2ownz.com/mental.nfo

5. chaos321

chaos321 Guest

how do you copy gamecube games? is it safe to install the chip! what do i need to do it? and what media sholud i use?

Thanxs

6. ryu__420

ryu__420 Member

^^^^what he said ^^^^ i might consider buying a dvd burner and mod-chip if its worth it

7. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

gamecube games are easy to burn. you just use any burner that can burn disc images (i use nero) and you go to the burn image section and you point the gamecube game as the image to be copied (you don't actually have to rename the .gcn to iso..just set the media type to all and select the .gcn or .iso) and that's it. as of now, not all media work but there is a laser fix/tweak that let's you play almost any media. but future releases of the cobra bios might fix this. if you want to install the chip yourself you need to have some experience using soldering iron and solder. you can buy some from a local diy store for cheap. you can practice on some electronic toys laying useless around the house. to open the gamecube you need to use either the gamebit tool or the pen trick (you can find about the pen trick in this thread if you do a search :D) i use the pen trick all the time and it's easy and inexpensive. when you open the gamecube you will need some confidence as well and not freak out thinking that you might break something. it is relatively easy to install the chip as there are only 4 wires to solder so no problems should occur during the installation if you perform a clean job and don't have much solder layind around the soldered wire. i hope this helps :)

8. handyguy

handyguy Guest

" how do you copy gamecube games?"

You can use Phoenix. Its easier to just get them somewhere.

9. indienemo

indienemo Guest

i havnt heard the word yet...will it or will it not work on a PAL 'cube?

10. introlux

introlux Guest

YES THE VIPER GC WORKS ON A PAL GAME CUBE. I have installed and tested wit zelda four swords NTSC on full size DVD-r

thanks

Introlux

11. muhmann

muhmann Member

So I got that right? You boot the GCN with PSO, rip the game via the BBA, burn the File with Nero or something similar, solder the chip, flash the bios, boot with the chip and some original GCN-Disk, remove it and insert the burned Disk and then you are able to play any burned game?

12. indienemo

indienemo Guest

cool, was there an issues with it reading DVD-R at all?! And what about installation was it esay?

13. introlux

introlux Guest

i used ritek DVD-r and burnt at 2 speed had no problem, 3 out of the 4 points are very easy bridging is easy 1 pont on a fine leg is a little difficult but apart from that very easy :)

14. indienemo

indienemo Guest

but we'll still need PSO to get us the .gcm files?

15. introlux

introlux Guest

if your refering to ripping the game then currently yes howver you will be able to do it throught the viper chip hopefully with the next bios update

16. indienemo

indienemo Guest

ahhhh wicked. WHat about getting an external dvd writer?

17. muhmann

muhmann Member

How do you want to connect it to the cube? The Viper-chip has only a parallel port. Theres nothing like an USB-, Firewire, IDE or whatever-Port you could use on the cube or the chip so far...
    Maybe sometime you could use the high-speed port under the cube, but not now...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  18. indienemo

indienemo Guest

you can get a parralel port to USB adapter you know, but thqats not the point im not if the gamecube would detect it and u would make it do so

19. muhmann

muhmann Member

I think, that would be too slow. But the most important thing is, that at the moment there's nothing in the BIOS that could cope with any external drive.

20. 1DKS1

1DKS1 Member

Hey introlux can I just burn to dvd-r and play them or do I have to do some kind of swap trick???