1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

viper lid detection bypass problem

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by sonnytv, Feb 10, 2005.

1. sonnytv

sonnytv Member

I just got and installed my viper chip but the problem I am having is that it wont read a disk with the cover off. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

2. Lazycus

Lazycus Member

Go into your COBRA configuration menu and change the lid sensor setting to 'closed'.

3. sonnytv

sonnytv Member

I cann't get the gc to recognize the viper chip. When I program the chip my computer doers recognize the gc. When I boot it up it just goes directly to the game. No viper screen or anything. Have checked my connection with muti meter multiple times. Going to check them again. Starting to get very frustrated. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

4. Lazycus

Lazycus Member

Well now, that's a different problem entirely. If you are sure your soldering is good on the GC mainboard then make sure the connector is firmly in place on your Viper chip board and test the connections all the way back to that board. Double check that you made all soldered connections to the proper locations. Is your programmer still connected? If it is make sure it's not in stealth mode (programmer DIP switch 1 in ON position).

5. sonnytv

sonnytv Member

I have checked my connections all the way to the cobra chip connector and they seem to be fine. I must be missing something simple I am sure. I have the 3 connections and the bridge on the top of the mother board and the yellow wire to the second leg on the bottom of the mother board. I don't see any cross connections or anything. I am wondering if maybe I have a corrupted flash. Or woul thw gc still at least recognize it with a black screen. Thanks for your help.

6. speedi

speedi Member

Check if the Cables are perfecty connected in the vper Chip (that thingy with all the cables sticking out of it)

then It should be Ok .. or else I have no logical explination

7. sonnytv

sonnytv Member

Anyone have any other suggestions?

8. Lazycus

Lazycus Member

Fire it up with the cover off and take a look. Is your Viper chip getting power (red & black wires) when measured with your multi-meter? Did you verify your chip was flashed correctly? If your BBA is connected try pulling it out just to experiment.

9. sonnytv

sonnytv Member

I will check the power but I believe it is working because viper loader sees the gc when the power is on. But from what I am reading I think it may be a flash problem. Is there a way to verify for certain that the chip is flashed?

10. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

Had this problem too... just change the 2 dipswitches on the Viper Programmer.

grtz

11. sonnytv

sonnytv Member

I have tried to switch dip switches all different ways. Nothing. I tried on a differnt cpu. Nothing. I have no idea. About ready to fix it with a BFH.

12. Lazycus

Lazycus Member

Use the 'compare' function in the Viper flash utility.

Try these before you take the hammer to it:
    - Remove the programmer entirely.
    - Recheck the yellow wire again. Make sure it is connected to the correct pin on the correct chip on the correct type of mainboard (A/B or C). Make sure it does not touch any other pins, anywhere on the board or any metal at all.
    - Remove your BBA if it is plugged in.
    - Remove the Viper connections and re-solder.

Hammer time?

13. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

Yep, check soldering and lid bypass connection in your gamecube...

14. indienemo

indienemo Guest

apprntly 1 in 5 viper chips are faulty from the start.

15. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

Hell, i hate my lack of a digital camera!!!
    First priority: buying one.. lol

update: got myself a Casio Exilim EX-S2 today!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  16. morphx

morphx Member

I have checked my connections all the way to the cobra chip connector and they seem to be fine. I must be missing something simple I am sure. I have the 3 connections and the bridge on the top of the mother board and the yellow wire to the second leg on the bottom of the mother board. I don't see any cross connections or anything. I am wondering if maybe I have a corrupted flash. Or woul thw gc still at least recognize it with a black screen. Thanks for your help.
    I read your post and from what i gather,you have a Dol101 version gamecube aka C board not a Dol001 aka a/b board vipers are not compatible with the board you have,i picked up on it when you said the second leg where you solder the yellow wire was on the "bottom" of the board and not on the top of the board like a/b boards.

I don't know of any fix for this issue,just hope and pray tha the viper team and cobra address it.

17. zerman

zerman Member

I have exactly the same problem: gamecube works like original BIOS. I don't know what to do... should i return the modchip? I don't understand, many people have problems, but videogame news webpages reviews are good, it seems nobody in that pages had problems, like in the few guides that exist to help installing it... is just "now install, now write it, now play! 10/10" :s
    My gamecube is a DOL-001 (europe)

18. zerman

zerman Member

OK i have a friend that installs modchips, he came at my house, installed the modchip as it should be, verified every connections, if there were broken wires, etc etc, everything looked good... but machine run the original bios... he took my cube to his home to try to see what's happening. He also tried with a diferent chip, nothing :(
    I thing the chip can't overrun original BIOS. I say this because when i turned on the cube after his installation, the original BIOS started with a bit of interference, but then it stabilized.
    Anyone does know anything about this? Not power enough maybe? Morphx, are your chip alright?

19. molton

molton Member

I thought my mod chip was dead, I couldn't get a hold of the flasher program because every link for it went to ps2ownz, and apparently they have a problem with hotmail, anyway, I thought the viper chip was supposed to do something right off the bat, but it loaded as if I hadn't installed it, and the flasher I could get, that open source one, said it couldn't see my modchip. Eventually I found the right flasher and put the cobra bios on the mod chip, I really wish they told you it didn't do anything until you re-flash the bios. Now none of my games work for longer than a couple minutes before the read errors start, but I guess that's another topic altogether.

20. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Im getting loads of those bloody errors as well... and i cant even write those mini dvd-r discs 75% of the time, I was so pissed off I even started a thread on it