1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viper Problem

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SyCoVeNoM, Mar 22, 2005.

1. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

The Viper flashed with no problem the 1st time I tried it but the Viper boot menu won't pop up. When I went back to try and re-flash it the flash program is now saying no vipers connected. The system will boot original games fine and it plays now with the cover off so the viper is doing something but the boot screens not appearing. So does anyone know whats up with it?

2. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

For whatever reason, your GC doesn't see the chip. Check your solder connections (use a magnifying glass) and look for bridges and make sure you soldered to the correct points on the board.

If it flashed fine the first time then the bios should be on your chip, so trying to reflash isn't going to solve anything.

Edit: after you flashed the chip did you press the compare button to make sure the data was the same?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  3. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

tried it said viper GC not found RIGHT after it said it flashed successfully. I didn't disconnect it even so it was seen till after it flashed and since my computer can't see it anymore.

4. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

either there's a bad connection somewhere or the flexwire is not in good enough on the programmer or the chip. I can't see it being anything else. I suggest you check your soldering very closely.

5. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

well the yellow wire came undone but now that I resoldered it the screens black and the drive won't spin up when trying to turn on the gc with the viper hooked up so i'm thinking the wire popped off during the flashing and screwed it up. if I unplug the viper the gc will boot normally still. so umm any one got any ideas?

and its still has that problem viper gc not found in the flashing program...

6. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

For one, I think you need to resolder your wires. There's no reason they should be coming loose if you soldered them properly. But if the other wires are fine, you need to check to make you didn't bridge any points on the board when you soldered. You'll definitely need a magnifying glass for this.

As far as flashing...your problem is a common one. Did you use a parallel cable to program it? If so, try connect the programmer directly to the parallel port. I know it's a pain in the ass but most people can't get it to program with a cable for some reason.

However, if your soldering wasn't done properly, your computer might not see the viper anyway.

The most important things to do when programming the chip is: plug in directly to parallel port like I already, and follow the direction "exactly" as they say. I know that sounds common sense, but the first time I tried it, I didn't do it in exact order and it didn't work. So this is what you do:

Open the viper loader program --> load the bios into the program --> connect viper programmer to the parallel port on your computer --> power on the gamecube --> press the "write" button --> after it flashes, press compare.

Another helpful tip: restart your computer before you load the bios.

If it still won't recognize the gamecube, then your either your programmer or connections on the board of the cube are faulty.

Good Luck:)