1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual console on WiiD?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Xealswe, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Xealswe

Xealswe Member

Hi!

How do you bypass the virtual console and need to buy roms and instead transfer the virtual console and roms directly from your pc? Is this possible?

2. bass_hit

bass_hit Regular member

That was about as clear as mud. I'll try to answer this.

- The Virtual Console is for playing paid downloaded games. Like ROMS but legal. (Ranging from $5 (USD) to $10 (USD). This is a great feature of the wii.

- You CAN NOT transfer VC games to a PC and be able to boot up your favorite emulator and have them work. They can only be played on the Wii that the game was bought on. No bringing it to a friend's house and using it on their wii either. They are protected.

If you want to play the game, pay for the download and play it on your wii.
    If you don't want to pay... to bad. There's always alternatives.

Try google.

BTW, Emulation + forums, usually = bad.

3. Xealswe

Xealswe Member

Yeah I got it. But what about a chipped wii? How does it work then?

4. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

let me sum it up for you

YOU CANNOT PLACE ROMS FROM YOUR PC ON YOUR "CHIPPED" WII.

it's not possible yet. You can only play backup dvd's of wii and gc games.

5. Xealswe

Xealswe Member

Ah thats bad :/
    I know a friend of mine who connected his chipped xbox to the pc and transfered nes/snes roms to it. Several emulator actually came with the chip :/

There are several guides hovewer that shows how this can be done on the wii, but as you say, it has to be transfered with burned dvd media

6. handsom

handsom Regular member

The XBox homebrew environment has been in development MUCH longer than the Wii. As such, there's a lot more available, and the system just plain has a much larger base of programmers who have interest in working with it.

I am hoping this trend expands on the Wii; because I would love to see more. In the meantime, the VC functions exactly the same way with or without a modchip. You can't do anything illegal with that, maybe some people will in the future, but that's up to what they develop.

As for now, the Wii chips basically allow for backups; I haven't heard of much homebrew at all on the system yet, so we'll see what develops in the next year, it will take a lot of time.

7. deussta

deussta Member

I have an SNES and NES emulator with ROMS for the Wii. It launches under the gamecube mode and you use the gamecube controllers to navigate and select the ROMs. Please do not ask me where I got these from, as I cannot provide links or anything. That would be illegal.

How is this possible? A few excerpts from the readme file:

"This is a self booting ISO that I have compiled for the Wii. It uses gamecube mode to load the Snes9xGX emulator and all 751 official SNES releases..."

"This emulator has been edited from the version meant for Gamecube in order to allow the Wii to boot the rom files from the DVD."

SNES9x 1.4.3 - Modifications (03/16/2007)
    * Removed driveid verification (not the best approach but I don't have Wii drive codes) to allow for Load from DVD on the Wii.
    * Set Multitap OFF by default
    * Corrected the inverted L + R Triggers in libogc