1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual Dub 1st Pass (warnings) And 2nd Pass Stuck At 90%

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by one5one, May 17, 2003.

1. one5one

one5one Guest

I searched the site pretty good and couldn't find any previous discussions dealing with this problem. I am using the Afterdawn guide to ripiing DVD to DivX 16:9 anamorphic movies. This is my first try. It has been a struggle but I finally made it to DivX encoding phase. My 1st pass completed and shows the status as "Done" (warnings). So I don't know what that means or if I should be concerned. My second pass processed along to 90% but has been stuck there for about 2 hours. There are no system resources issues that I can tell. I am using Win XP. Is any of this normal? I am thinking of aborting and staring the Virtual Dub part over but would first like to hear from someone that has been here before.

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

What settings did you use prior to encoding ie:nth pass method or the original 2-pass. Also was there any warnings before things went wrong?

3. one5one

one5one Guest

The only options available were 1-pass, multipass - 1st pass and multipass - 2nd pass. I chose multipass - 1st pass for my first save and then 2nd pass for the next. That gave me 2 jobs. I'm using DivX Codec 5.05.

I did not receive any warnings.

4. one5one

one5one Guest

I'm sorry, the options were 1-pass then multipass - 1st pass and then multipass - nth pass.

5. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

If i misunderstand what you just replied then im sorry, but it looks to me like you chose a few too many passes. If you are using divx 5.05 and you use the nth pass method then you only have to choose multi-pass first pass and then multipass nth pass. Also do you use your computer while encoding? I usually tend to leave the computer alone while encoding so most processing power is soley for encoding my movie.

6. one5one

one5one Guest

Sorry for the confusion. This is my first rip and I have been working on it fairly intensely for several (you don't want to know how many) hours. I think I was delerious.

I used multipass- 1st pass first and multipass - nth pass for the second. I aborted the stuck job mentioned above and deleted both passes and started over again with the virtual dub phase. I still got the warning notice on the first pass but the second pass fully processed and when I got up this morning I had a completed movie. That is to say my second pass is the movie. What do I do with the file called first pass now, just delete it?

Anyway, I don't know what caused the problem. Perhaps it was a computer resources problem. I have about 12 hours invested in this rip. Half of that is processing time and most of the other half is learning curve. I guess to anyone else that experiences this particular problem the answer is to try again.

Thanks for your assistance.

7. soni7403

soni7403 Member

hi there... i have the exact same problem u had..i got stuck on secondpass 2 times..:(,
    i chose multiple - 1st and then multiple -nth..but both times i got unlucky. i was just wondering wat version of virtual dub did u use. i m using 1.5.2...ne help on this will be great...!!!!! i m so frustrated now...thanks for yr time

8. one5one

one5one Guest

I am also using Virtual Dub 1.5.2. The only thing I noticed different, as I went through this phase of the process, is that the DivX Codec I have is 5.05 which I guess is what you have as well. The guide was written for DivX Codec 5.0. I tried to change but couldn't find that version. I don't know if that would make any difference at all but I did have to download earlier versions of DVD2AVI and CDEx in order to make them work.

I feel your frustration. I know exactly what its like. My Virtual Dub just worked on the second try. I only suspect that maybe the computers' resources were low and jammed things up. Maybe shut your system down and let it rest for 5 or 10 minutes. Then run Virtual Dub and do nothing else with the computer. I know you don't want to keep running this over and over as it takes 5 or 6 hours to process. Unfortunately I have no other wisdom for you.

Surely there is an expert out there that can tell us what is causing this. Anybody?

9. Powa

Powa Regular member

This exact same thing was happening to me a week ago with VirtualDub. I was trying to encode Mission Impossible 2 and it would stop at 98.5% on the 3rd pass. Was annoying the hell out of me no end!

I was trying to encode on a win2000 1.5Celeron, 256ram, with not a great deal of hard drive space. I was getting virtual memory errors all the time too.

Anyway after about 5tries at it, I gave up with that computer and copied the vob files to my other one, a 1.1 Athlon, WinXP Pro and 384ram. And now the movie encoded fine. I do have problems with good quality though :\ . I don't know what was wrong with the other computer?

What are your computer specs? Maybe you could try FreeMem, which frees up your ram when it gets used too much?

Also about the warnings you get with vidomi, I believe that in your DivX encoder settings you should just have it on 1 pass, not n'th pass or anything else. In vidomi, you select DivX networks 2 pass. So that will perform whatever settings you have in the divX twice over.

Hope that helps?

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

If any of you are using the newest version of vdub then i suggest scrapping it and use an older version, like the one that came before it. the newest version still has some bugs that need to be worked out.

11. one5one

one5one Guest

Good idea powerdup. I found old versions at sourceforge http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/. There are several older versions at the bottom of the page that can be DL'ed. Do you suggest any particular version? I'm thinking I'll just try version 1.5.1 next time but it looks like 1.4.7 was used in the guide.

12. soni7403

soni7403 Member

hi,,,thanx for yr help guys..i used virtual dub 1.5.0 and it worked..well not actually,,this time the secondpass went thru. but when i was playin the file,,the quality of the picture was excellent but the sound was messed up..!!!! it was like "shhhhhhh-shhhhh" throught the whole movie. i checked my folder where DVD2AVI stores the file,,i had a file that started with moviename AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps 44.1KHz,,,so i was wondering if i have to download ne other codecs or not..?? thanks again for yr help..!!!!!!!!!

13. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Yeah stick with version 1.51. Not much difference between 1.47.

soni: If you followed the dvd to divx guide, then you probably converted the wav file into a wav-wrapped mp3, with cdex. I suggest using a later version like cdex 1.4 which can be found here:
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cdexos/cdex_140_enu.exe?download

also after converting the HUGE wav file which could be around 800 to 900 MB depending on the movie it should decrease in size immensely like say a few hundred MB. Make sure you use the right one. Also after converting have a listen to the file before you encode it with the movie to make sure it sounds good. Also sometimes the audio could sound really low, so low that even with your speakers at high volume everything will sound like a whisper. There is an easy fix to this, and that is to normalize the volume with a neat program called MP3Gain. Here is the link to the site:
    http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/

14. soni7403

soni7403 Member

thanks powerdup...:)..i will try doin that. but one more question about DivX 5.0.5 pro. i cant seem to fine the older version 5.0 pro. in the new one there is no such option as 2- pass . it only has 1- pass, muultipass - 1 pass and multipass - nthe pass. people r sayin use only multipass 1 pass and so..so which one should i use for my virtual dub job..?? thanks for your time..really appreciate it..!!!

15. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I wouldnt downgrade if i were you, the 5.0 version has a lot of bugs, and besides the quality that codec can produce is nowhere near as good as 5.05 but thats my opinion. the nth pass feature(first pass multipass/nth pass multipass), are better at distributing bits on your encode while trying to stay within target bitrate range and its size predictability is better. To use this feature just follow the afterdawn guides, until you get to the part where you choose your codec, from their choose 1st pass multipass for your first pass and on the second choose nth pass multipass...If you want to use the original 2-pass method youd have to go into the profiles tab and uncheck the Choose Your Profile Option and click ok on the message that comes up. You will now see that all mpeg 4 tools options are now enabled. Go back to the Bitrate control tab and now you can choose the original 2 pass method.

16. soni7403

soni7403 Member

thanx guys...finally it worked..!!!!!!! it was just some problem w/ computer i guess..fourth time i did it , it worked...neways..thanks for yr help...bye