1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual Dub Problem

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by hazzarduk, Mar 9, 2005.

1. hazzarduk

hazzarduk Member

im trying to split a .avi file into 2 halves. i can split the 1st half fine, but the 2nd half wont seperate and when i use save .avi it will just save the whole file again

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

You must select 'beginning' and then select 'middle' and so you will be able to save first half.
    From your previously-selected 'middle' (record frame-number): select this as your new 'beginning' and then of course select 'end' to be the end, and so you will be able to save final half.
    Your original (full) AVI remains unchanged.
    Actually 'splitting' is inaccurate term - you are copying first half, and then second half, and if you are happy (and selected direct-stream copy both) you can then delete the original AVI :)
    Hope this helps...
    Regards

3. hazzarduk

hazzarduk Member

i have figured out the problem, but encountered a second problem.the 1st problem was the .avi didnt have any keyframes i could split at

the 2nd problem, is there anyway to split without keyframes, or add keyframes to a .avi file?

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

The DivX 5 default is keyframe every 300 frames minimum (and with scene change, you will get more than that).
    I change it to every 200 frames minimum, which helps playback compatibility, ability to cut on keyframe, and searching AVI (especially backwards).
    Yikes! Where DO you guys get this steady stream of loser AVIs - does ANYBODY know how to make them properly, besides me?
    Those without in-depth knowledge believe that minimizing keyframes is the way to maximum compression and resulting small file size, but it is not so.
    But NO keyframes!? C'mon...
    Yeesh ;-(

5. hazzarduk

hazzarduk Member

is there any way to add keyframes to a .avi?

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

No way, that's like adding wheels to your car - it's supposed to come with 4 & that's it!
    But you say, 'mine doesn't have any' and so I wonder what makes it go down the road...
    In other words, your AVI is beyond my (meager) knowledge.
    Anybody?

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

is there any way to add keyframes to a .AVI?

this can be done before you encode the 2nd pass.
    take a look at the .pass file with statsreader, and you can force keyframe with that.
    this is for xvid, not sure with divx.

of course for a 'done' video, don't think so.

8. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

A keyframe is the same as an I-Frame, in XVID you can increase the number of I-Frames to as many as you like although increasing the number will increase the size of your file. General rule is to place I-Frame number to 10x the frame rate of the original encoded video (eg 25FPS = 250 on I-Frame). In your case your going to have to re-encode your video.