1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual Dub Slow To Join AVI Files???

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by andycov, May 18, 2007.

1. andycov

andycov Guest

Hi,

Am joining two avi files together with Virtual Dub using the guide on this site. It says that it should take a few mins at most but takes over two hours on my comp, now ok, my comp ain't the best but it can't be that bad !! Anyone any ideas what I'm doing wrong?? Running on P4 3.00 GHz with 512mb ram.

Thanks

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Which version of VirtualDub are you using?
    I use 1.6.17 Build 24469.
    Codecs pack I have is FFDShow.

Joining 2 avi's on a P4 2.8 ghz w/ 1 gig ram takes maybe 2 mins here.

3. andycov

andycov Guest

Hi,

Yeah same version Virtual Dub, wasn't running FFD show but installed it and same result. In fact I left it joining overnight and it had completed 8% with about 4,000 hours to go so i'm definitely doing something wrong lol !!

Thanks

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm that is way too long. It's pretty easy to join files w/ VirtualDub & if you're following the guide there's really not much to it.

Open 1st file move slider all the way to the end - pick append avi segment and open 2nd file.
    Have direct stream copy selected for both video and audio.
    Save as and name the new avi.
    By chance do you have 'full processing' selected?

Anything else on the pc running slow?

Maybe try the latest build of Virtual Dub.

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Yeah, make sure that you have the video set to direct streaming. Codecs and CPU's really shouldn't come into it since there is no decoding or encoding required. Far more imporant is your HDD(s), storage controler, etc. since it is just read/write. For optimal performance the source and dest files should be on separate physical drives.

6. andycov

andycov Guest

Hi,

Yes have direct stream copy ticked for both, it appears to be the fact that the video fps starts off ok but then goes to 0, that's the problem. Have given up now and starting using a program which joins avi files and converts to DVD in one operation.

Thanks for help.