1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDub Help!

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by krufto, Feb 28, 2005.

1. krufto

krufto Guest

Ok i have a movie thats in avi format but its not in english so i wanted to put subtitles. So i found out how on a site using virtualdub and an srt subtitle file. So when i put the srt on as the filter and went to save it to my desktop it went half way and said i was out of disk space. When i checked the save it was 42gb??? Does any one know why this happened and if theres a better way.thx.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Before you save, click Video, Compression, and select a good codec.
    You tried to save an uncompressed avi, which can get seriously huge.
    Try to use DivX or XviD codec, at a reasonably high bitrate to maintain quality.

3. krufto

krufto Guest

Ok thanks. One more thing if the video has the black at the top and at the bottom and has subtitles on the bottom is there any way that i can remove that?

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Click Video, filters, add, and select Null Transform, click OK.
    You can now click on the Cropping button, and crop it however you want.

5. krufto

krufto Guest

With cropping wont that just cut off the bottom or the top cause theres only two lines vertical and horizontal??

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You can also cut the right and left sides.
    I would need to see a screen shot of one frame to best tell you how to do it.
    Experiment with the "Fill" filter as well. It may be more what you're looking for.

7. krufto

krufto Guest

Ok once i put all the filters and the divx compression on how do i save it??? It has so many saving ways in the file menu.thx again.

8. krufto

krufto Guest

When i pick save as avi i get the error "cannot initialize video compression due to codec error: The source image format is not acceptable".???

9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Another codec issue.
    Get Gspot, open the avi, find out what codec(s) it has, download and install them.
    Try again.
    If you already have the codec, then your DivX settings are wrong. DivX is fussy, the file must have a colour depth of 24 or 32, and must be a framesize ratio width divisible by 4 and heighth divisible by 2...that is, a framesize of 353x241 won't work. Increase (or decrease) framesize so that the 4 and 2 work. In this example, 353 becomes 352, and 241 becomes 240.
    Use the resize filter to achieve this.
    When saving, just click File, Save as AVI, give it a name, click OK. Don't choose old avi, or any of the others, which can mess you up.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005