1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDub Secondpass ERROR

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by nizers, May 16, 2003.

1. nizers

nizers Member

Okay, I've followed the directions listed in the guides section and everything has worked perfect until the final step, encoding the secondpass. I started the encoding and went to bed. When i woke up i found that the firstpass had encoded just fine but that the secondpass had an error? I'm not sure what could've went wrong seeing as how i followed the directions perfectly. If anybody has ever used this same exact process and had a similar error i'd really love to hear what you did to fix it. I've got like 8 hours into this and would hate to scrap it now.

Oh yea, I'm using the lastest of all the software that is listed in the beginning of the guide. Some of it seems to be newer then the ones the author is describing.

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

no need to scrap anything, just run the second pass again on the file created by the first pass. btw what was the error?

3. nizers

nizers Member

There was no particular error. It just said error next to the job in the job control window. That's why i wasn't really sure what it was pertaining too. Thx though, i'll try your advice.

4. nizers

nizers Member

I tried that. Didn't work. This time i didn't select the box in the "save to avi" window that says something about deffering the job process.... Anyway, i think the error that i was getting was this (cause this is what came up when i didn't go throught the job control screen)

CANNOT START VIDEO COMPRESSION
    The Source image format is not acceptable
    (error code -2)

5. cjo9900

cjo9900 Member

did you use virtualdub 1.5.2 as i had a problem with this at the end of the encoding second pass that it would just start eating memory until windows slowed to a crawl. solved this by trying different codec and then previous version of virtualdub.

Which virtual dub are you using and which codec,source type, and sys specs.

I am using winxp if that is an help.

6. nizers

nizers Member

I'm also using VirtualDub 1.5.2 with the DivX 5.0.5 Codec. My sys is Win XP, P4 2.0, 512M RAM. Like I said, I followed the Directions in the guide section for 16:9 Anamorphic. I did notice that in the DivX 5.0.5 codec that when i select '2-pass, secondpass' it doesn't say that. It says 'nth pass, multipass' I assumed this was the same, but maybe it isn't. This is my first time decoding so I'm not too familiar with exactly what it is i'm doing... i'm just following directions.

7. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Ok first i suggest getting an older version of virtualdub, because the current one still has a few bugs. Yeah the guide is a bit outdated, the codec they use is divx 5.0. Anyways, just follow the guide until you get to the part where you choose which codec to use to compress your vid. In the variable bitrate mode, choose Multipass, first pass and enter in your encoding bitrate and whatever settings you wish to use, then click ok and save avi, remember to check the box to differ the job ok? then go back into compression and choose Multipass, nth pass and save the avi again, also check the box to differ the job. after that encode, both jobs should be finished in a few hours. Also, if you dont already know, in the job control list there is an option to shutdown the computer when finished so i suggest ticking that.

8. nizers

nizers Member

Now that i think of it.. i don't think i chose the 1st pass, multipass option. I don't think it says anything in guide about choosing wich pass it is that your saving, except for on the second pass. I'll have to try that and see what happens.

Last edited: May 17, 2003
  9. nizers

nizers Member

Okay.. I tried your suggestion poweredup, and it worked. I didn't have the "1st pass, multipass" selected the first time. Oh, and i got the 1.5.0 version of Virtualdub. Now, i have a huge .avi file that the audio is how can i say "fuzzy?" Sounds like there's static in the audio? Really badly and very loud.

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Are you using CDex 1.5? Because when i used that release, my audio came out weird too. Try using CDex 1.4, and see how that goes. Btw, how big is the sound file after you compressed it?

11. nizers

nizers Member

I am using CDex 1.5. I'll have to take your advice and get rid of it in trade for the 1.4 version. And my compressed audio file is 157MB. So, should i just erase everything i've got so far except for the VOB files?? and then start from there?? I know i'm gonna have to at least erase my compressed audio file and firstpass and secondpass files, but what else should i get rid of?

12. soni7403

soni7403 Member

hey guys...i just have a quick question..in the guide it says ( virtual dub part ) in resizing use 640*360 resolution...i was just wondering if u use like 640*400 or somethin like that ,, would it matter..?? because i converted a movie but the quality is great only problem is that the viewing screen seems little bit short...so just wondering if that is possible or not..?? thanks a lot...

13. soni7403

soni7403 Member

hey guys...i just have a quick question..in the guide it says ( virtual dub part ) in resizing use 640*360 resolution...i was just wondering if u use like 640*400 or somethin like that ,, would it matter..?? because i converted a movie but the quality is great only problem is that the viewing screen seems little bit short...so just wondering if that is possible or not..?? thanks a lot...

14. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

You could use almost any resolution you want so long as both horizontal and vertical are multiples of 16.

15. nizers

nizers Member

Okay, i got CDex v1.4 but i'm still having the same problem with my audio. Must be something before that like the VAFPICodec program that i'm using. I'll try reinstalling it unless anybody has a better program or version to use.

16. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

what are the settings that youre using in CDex?

17. nizers

nizers Member

Okay, I got a good copy of my audio. I went back and deleted everything except the VOB files and re-ripped my audio with DVD2AVI. I'm running VirtualDub right now so hopefully everything will work. I listend to the compressed audio and it sounds good. I'll keep you posted.

18. Powa

Powa Regular member

Nizers>

How exactly did you fix up the audio settings?? I'm doing the same thing and keep getting that fuzzy static sound. What did you do to fix it?

19. Powa

Powa Regular member

Nevermind, I fixed the problem.

Don't use the Cdex 1.50 beta versions. I downgraded to the 1.40 release version and now the audio encoded properly. In the 1.5 versions of Cdex, there is no option available to do WAV -> MPEG1. In 1.4 versions there is, so maybe that was the problem.

20. nizers

nizers Member

Just wanted to say thx to everybody that helped me through my first DVD rip. Everything works perfect. :) Only one more simple question... in the guide it says something about using 1200mb for you total file size so that it will fit onto 2 650mb cd's, well... if i'm gonna burn it onto 2 700mb cd's would i get higher quality if i figured it for 1300mb?? Or could i scale it down to 700mb in order to fit it onto 1 CD?