1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDub Sharpening filter help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rogue212, Feb 2, 2008.

1. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Hi, i want to use virtualdub to sharpen a file, i know how to use the filter but correct me if i'm wrong, you have to use full video processing mode in order to use the filter.

I then end up with a huge GB filtered file, how do i then get this back to something like the original size, i've tried to use the compression feature but get error's all the time and simply don't know how compress it back to it's original size etc.

I've tried searching the forum but can't find anything, thanx for the help.

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

you change ext to what you want like xvid codec, else it will be uncompressed

[​IMG]

3. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Thanx for your help and time but i get these error messages when i try this:

error Statsfile not found

error
    Cannot start vidio compression:

The operation is not supported
    (error code -1)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  4. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Will keep trying with other files, thanx again.

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

do you have the right codecs installed for input AND output file?

which virtualdub you use, i use virtualdubmod

6. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

I have all known codec's installed, i think to many to be honest.

I use both VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod , i tried VirtualDubMod because it allowed me to strip the 6 channel sound or AC3 from avi files but unlike VirtualDub it doesn,t let you rejoin the audio.

This may help, i'm trying out Video Enhancer, i started testing it with just the increase resolution or enhancement, well it worked or started processing then i cancelled because i read in the guide that i could use VirtualDub's filter's to remove blocking artifacts etc.

So i tried one of VirtualDub's filter's with the programe and as soon as i started it i got the same error message about stats file not found.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
  7. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

I think you right about it being a codec issue as i,m getting the same error message and more with video enhancer when i try to choose a codec to use.

If i don't use any compession then it works, i've tried a few codecs but when i press start same thing.

I,ve been through the codec issue before and was told i had all the codecs if not to many which may cause some problems, could they be conflicting.

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

yes codecs can conflict...

uninstall all codecs and only install what you need, gspot will tell you the codec info when you load in a file

just xvid codec = http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

-------------

this video enhancer is it part of v-dub ?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  9. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

The Video Enhancer was 30 day trial program, but when i did manage to convert a small test file with codecs i didn't know it never played correctly or at all.

Just thought i'd try it out because if it did what it said on the tin then i might have bought it, seem's like it's based on VirtualDub with a friendly user interface, but i'm not sure.

I,ve used VirtualDub's filters before when i first tried the program and it worked ok, if that seem's odd as i asked you how to use it, it's because i'm disabled now because of head injuries and the simple things in life have now become very hard.

I wanted to get into the correct way of converting NTSC to PAL and vice versa, deinterlacing etc, the way it's done professionally but that's looking a little complicated for me now.

But i'll keep trying, what codecs would you recommend to cover most files, or the best one's.

Thanks for all the help and your time.

10. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Video Enhancer 1.7 Publisher's description

Video Enhancer allows you to
    1) Increase resolution of your video with Video Super Resolution technique which delivers unbelievable quality by using information from previous frames, while all the other resize methods use information from one current frame. Now you can convert your SD video to HD!
    2) Use hundred of VirtualDub video filters allowing you to do everything you want with your video : deinterlacing, denoising, deshaking, color correction, sharpening, visual effects etc.
    Video Enhancer is a lot faster than VirtualDub because all filters and codecs work simultaneously in separate threads.
    3) Open any video which can be played on your system and re-compress it with any video codec (DirectShow, DMO and Video for Windows) installed in your system.

Requirements: Processor with MMX support

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

did you try loading that xvid codec i linked you too and tryed it again in v-dub

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You don't try to get it back to it's original size, because anything you think you've gained sharpness wise will be lost. If I was attempting what you are doing I'd shoot for an Xvid that's at least twice the size of my original, in hopes of minimizing the inevitable quality loss do to the re-encoding.

13. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Yes the new codec made it work, i thought i had that in one of my codec bundles, still no luck using the same codec with VideoEnhanccer, as it use's the same VirtualDub codec menu, it just freeze's.

VirtualDub doesn't seem to give you the option of using a codec when you save when using filter's, as with VAirtualDubMod, can this be done with VirtualDub.

Thanx for the help and advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
  14. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

I just wanted to get it down from the uncompressed size which was huge, didn't mind it being bigger in size just not that big.

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

load your avi / load your filter / then save as (useing picture above! set the xvid codec) mine comes out very close to same size!

if the codecs are on your pc you will see them like in the picture

16. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Thanks for all the help.

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

no probs - hows it going?

18. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

I'm trying different filter's out at the moment, seem's there's a trade off when using any filter, when using the internal sharpening filter the increase in artifacts or blocking is high.

So might add the deblocking with the sharpening filter but i assume they would just cancel each other out, or just degrade the video file.

My favourite is the old cinema filter, i'd like to take some modern video and use it to make a classic silent movie, inserting the black back-ground speech title's and adding that silent movie sound track.

Will have to look into converting the video so it has that 1920's jerky film look, i take it some sort of frame rate change will have the desired effect.

No luck with VideoEnhancer though, not sure about that one.

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

i mainly use v-dub on blurring words out to blend in with the film picture, think its an addon filter though...

20. Ianpbx

Ianpbx Member

I'm having the same problem. I tried using Video Enhancer 1.8 trial but, despite it's prettier interface, it's unstable and incredibly slow. So I'm trying to persevere with VirtualDub (v1.7.8).

I'm trying to sharpen a monochrome .avi file using filtering. It's size is 179.5mb at a resolution of 240x192, duration 52 mins. I'm recompressing using the XVid codec, bitrate set at 1200.

Audio compression MP3 is set at 20kBit/s, 16kHz Mono.

I expected maybe a little increase in size, but when I start processing, the projected size in the progress box creeps up to about 490mb!

It seems to me that rogue212, like me, was not quite getting the answers he needed. Are there any particular settings that I am likely missing out on? I'm wasting my life away trying to figure all this out!