1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDub tweaking!

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Oneiroxy, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Oneiroxy

Oneiroxy Member

Does anyone know how to make V_B_149 any faster! I really believe that it can do better than 18fps per pass with my dual 1800+MP! when i first launched it, it utilised 75% of cpu now only 60-65% and with fps dropping to 17-18fps as a result! Have i done something wrong! I use divx4.12! would divx5 make any difference?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

It's not VDub, it's DivX codec that does the encoding. Have you selected "use all CPU power" from DivX settings?

3. Oneiroxy

Oneiroxy Member

Oh, yes of course! and i actually set the priority of the process to Real Time but nothing changed to the better!

4. dRD

First of all -- I hate when people encode their videos on the fly, because the quality sucks compared to huffyuv raw capture with 2-pass encoding later on (ok, it takes more HDD space, but HDD costs like $1-2 / GB nowadays..).

But then back to your prob -- I would guess that your HDD is the problem in here, defrag your drive (or even better, create one _blank_ partition for capture use ONLY and keep it 100% empty always before capturing) and check that your DMA settings are on for HDDs.

5. Oneiroxy

Oneiroxy Member

You are probably right about the HDD difrag issue! I will look into it!
    Nevertheless i have to say that i am not encoding on the fly, or at least i think so! I even use the divx4log to alter quant. for optimum encoding on the second pass!
    Yet again you could be pointing/commenting to other issues that i did not understand! Can you explain if you may what "huffyuv raw capture" is! I am interested! Do you have a link of suitable guide? I have no problem with storage space at all, i am after THE "quality" of the picture above all!
    Thanks mate anyway for the tip!

6. dRD

Ah, basically do the capturing using max. resolution (NTSC: 704x480, PAL: 704x576) and use some non-lossy compression codec (huffyuv or Morgan M-JPEG). This produces appx. 3-10GB/hour AVI. Then just encode this using DivX 2-pass method (or TMPGEnc/SVCD if you prefer SVCD).

And for capturing tools, I recommend AVI_IO instead of VDub as it can "fill" the missed frames which makes sure that you don't end up having synch issues.

7. Oneiroxy

Oneiroxy Member

Well i have to say i am amazed with the fast and to the point responce of this community!
    I am going to try this out!

Thanks again!