1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDubMod crashes

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by MrRod, Mar 16, 2005.

1. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

I asked in another post how to convert mpg to avi and Jim told me to use compression but when i click on compression VirtualDubMod crashes, the program just closes down without warning, does anyone know why this is and what i can do to fix this problem?

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Grab one of the latest free versions of DivX and Xvid codecs. Once installed, they may help the program.
    You could also try ffdshow.
    If it still crashes, check the forums at
    http://forums.virtualdub.org/
    They have LOTS of answers :)

3. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

i have ffdshow installed and divx/xvid codecs, i get this error message when choosing compression.

An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'VirtualDub'...
    ...while opening video codec with FOURCC "3ivx" (compchoose.cpp:166)...
    ...while enumerating video codecs (compchoose.cpp:154)

I did install a codec pack named 'ace mega codec pack' do you think that might be the root of the problem?

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yup, that will mess it up.
    The 3ivx is corrupt. Either uninstall it, or download and install a new version.

5. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

Yea, i uninstalled the codec pack and th compression works but i don't see the compression options you posted, divx,xvid or the ms.... one. Would i need to unstall codecs for those to be able to use them or is there a plugin for virtualdubmod?

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You would need to download and install the codec you wish to use.
    Codec packs usually screw things up (as you've found out), and it's best to only install the codecs you need, from a reliable source.
    If you want, get the official Windows codec pack at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx
    This should give you msmpeg4 at least, which isn't a terribly bad codec for saving. Make sure you adjust the settings for highest quality.
    You could also try Xvid, and compare which quality and compression you like best.