1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus screwed up internet

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by armenix, Oct 9, 2007.

1. armenix

armenix Member

Hey there!

My computer was recently (4-5 days ago) infected with a pretty nasty virus...my dad removed it before i got to see any of it, so i do not know the name of the virus. It essentially had a bunch of fake AV software claiming we had a virus and to buy their product. After we removed it, we noticed that it seemed to have corrupted several internet settings; it activated our ISP's security system for E-mail to where we were unable to send out e-mail until we called their service to unlock it. We have noticed our internet, specifically on this computer, is running quite slow at times now, and assume the cause to be the damage of the virus. I attempted to repair the registry with Advanced Windows Care V2 Personal and CCleaner, but it only seemed to have made matters worse. Reseting our router completely removed our internet access; it was only through sheer luck that installing the basic drivers got us our access back. I have tried using Firefox instead of IE for our browser, but that doesn't seem to change anything. We know we can simply do a clean install of Windows, but since my other computer completely crashed randomly a (blue screen of death, read below), we have no means of backing up data. Does anyone have any sort of suggestions or possible fix??

Also, as i said before, our other computer has just got the infamous "blue screen of death"; while playing a game, my computer randomly froze, and, after reseting it, it boots up almost normally. Right before it gets to the "welcome" screen (the loading screen pretty much completely finishes) we receive this error message on a blue screen:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The Registry Cannot Load the Hive (file):
    \systemroot\system32\config\default
    Or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

I attempted booting into safe mode, with the same result. There were no recent installs, programs that were run, or added hardware that could have caused this (at least, to my knowledge). I assume the computer is toast without a full re-install of windows, but i was curious as to how this could have happened? I noticed no unusual behavior beforehand. Is there any way to save it besides a redo?

Additional helpful info:
    Win XP SP1 (SP2 on Blue screen comp)
    Norton AV
    Zonealarm
    Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    CCleaner (registry fix only for the Win XP SP1 comp)

We've had the worst luck with our comps the last few days :-( Please help! Thanks in advance!

2. armenix

armenix Member

Oh, BTW, the internet worked fine on my blue screen comp before the comp died tonight, so i don't believe its an ISP issue.

3. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

Absolute nightmare that BSOD. I only had one i could load up with all my files on it and then i restarted one day and it came up!!!

I inserted windows disk, reinstalled and it formatted my whole PC without warning me and i put down for it to make a new partition and to leave existing.

Thats one way of doing it!

Connect HD to a different PC or run from a different partition to extract important files and reinstall windows, is a nightmare but the only way i found around it.

4. armenix

armenix Member

Thanks for the tip!! I appreciate it! For whatever reason, my net is working fine now (guess our ISP is just been really retarded lately)...does anyone have an idea what caused the BSOD still?

5. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Post A HJT log, I will be happy to take a look at what nasties are on your system.

6. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

I'm not sure what causes it, quite a newbie in the computer error side of things, it occured when i uninstalled SP2 as it was messing up my internet.