1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vision 4 - 1 Project - 21 Slideshows - 1 Audio File ?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by hmdotca, Apr 9, 2007.

1. hmdotca

hmdotca Member

Vision 4 - 1 Project - 21 Slideshows - 1 Audio File ?

not 21 audio files

1 audio file ?

can it be done ?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Seems to me you could complete each slideshow to a folder and then once all were finished you could add each to a new "Make DVD-Video" project. Once the slideshows are added, add your audio file. The key here is to complete each slideshow as a separate project so each becomes a titleset in the new project.

Try it and see what happens.

3. hmdotca

hmdotca Member

thanks for the suggestion.

didn't work.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I managed to make 12 slideshows each with 15 or 20 pictures and combined them with a single audio track that consisted of several different music files into a DVD-Video.
    At the beginning I made a menu to allow the selection of an individual slideshow.
    I did this with NeroVision 3.1.0.21.

What problem(s) did you run into? This can be tricky.

5. Guyy

Guyy Newbie

just to add, if you're a fan of making slideshows, 'Nero PhotoShow Deluxe 4' is a fine piece of software that works brilliantly with NeroVision.

by the way, thanks 'fasfrank' for the link to 'Nero Recode AEC changer' that you posted a couple of days ago.

6. hmdotca

hmdotca Member

I'm glad you liked PSD4, -- personally I think it sucks.

It's at least 10 year old software that's ok for old farts and little kids to have a bit of fun with, but, not worth spit for me.
    steve

7. hmdotca

hmdotca Member

I'll be dealing with 1,000s of 35mm slides at a time per project, with many such projects to deal with.

I have a project right now that's 2,200 photos organized in to 42 subject groups.

NeroVision would have been a workable solution, if it worked as insinuated.

1st, to be sure of 'building' the project with the photos in the correct order, I need to easily and quickly add them to the project by subject group, because I cannot spend 100 hours renaming all the photo files to be alpha-numerically in the final order.

NV does that, it lets you import all the subjec-groups separately as titles, but, if you try to add all the files from all the titles to the same workarea where you specify the display and transition times, it replaces the title photos you just placed in there with the title photos of the next title group you try to add.

So, you have to build each group's slideshow separately, and let NV add them all together.

2nd, Unfortunately, NV does not allow you to apply 1 audio file to the entire project, only to each title within the project. 42 separate audio files to 42 separate titles massively reduces one's productivity. It takes too long.

But, 3rdly, NV does not let me build menus the way I need to build them, chapter points, nor apply 1 audio file to the entire total project, so I need to 'export' the entire project to some other format, preferably MPEG-2, and load the resulting MPG file in to a more sophisticated DVD Authoring program to add 1 audio file.

Ironically, NV has a TITLE MERGE button, to merge all titles in to 1 Title. However, it only works on multiple Video files Titles, not Slideshow Titles.

NV Slideshow does not let one merge all titles in to 1 title. NV will either build the final DVD files for burning, or, export the Slideshow titles separately 1 at a time. It will not export the entire multi-slideshow-titles project in to 1 MPEG-2 file.

Doing 42 separate exports and then rejoining them alltogether in another program is massively reduced productivity.

So, those are the problems I've encountered with NeroVision.

NV obviously could be useful to me, but then screws everything up at the last stage.

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I seriously doubt if NeroVision is the way to go here. Nero is designed for much smaller projects.

I'll just run through what I would suggest to do with Nero if you didn't have any other choice.

Take the pictures from each subject, create a slideshow and burn it to a folder as a small DVD-Video file, SS1, SS2, SS3 and so on.

After doing that 42 times(!) you would then have to close and reopen NVE, Select "Make a DVD-Video".

After finding and adding the 42 slideshows to your "assets" area. You would start assembling your video by dropping each slideshow VOB into the timeline. You should rename each slideshow's VOB as you select it. This way you won't have 42 VOB files with the same name.

This would be the time to merge the titles... As you mentioned, it only works with video titles. However merging titles will mess up or possibly mess up how Nero creates the menu and chapters. I had some problems doing this and ended up not merging.

Now would be the time to add transition effects as well.

This is crucial. At this screen you can do things that affect the entire project. Adding the main sound track that starts at the beginning of SS1 and ends at the end of SS42 can only be done here.

You cannot do this by selecting "Edit Movie". That only allows editing of individual titles.... I know, I tried. and it will only let you add it to the selected title, not the entire project.

When it comes time for the chapters you would have to play the compilation and manually insert the chapter points. Very time consuming and I don't trust Nero's Chapter Auto-Detect feature.

Once that is all done you now have to create a menu. Nero should be able to detect your chapter points and create the menu. Just editing the menu button images would take quite a while though. 42 subjects, 42 menu buttons? I think Nero would crash... and I'm not even sure it would allow that many. The most I ever added was 16 or so.

Now that that's done it's time to burn the project. I would select a hard disc folder rather than a blank DVD.

That's how I'd attempt it if I had absolutely had no other choice.

I could just imagine Nero crashing in the middle of your project. Especially after overcoming Nero's shortcomings. It could be very frustrating.

I can see you have a lot of time and energy invested in those photos and want the finished project to reflect that. I think Nero is great for the typical user, not for projects of this magnitude though. You may want to look for better software. I suspect you know more about what to look for than I do. You might take a look at ADs digital photography forum. There are some pretty sharp folks there.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  9. hmdotca

hmdotca Member

I very much appreciate the instructions.

For one project, the amount of effort would be worth it.

But, for many projects, it's just too much time and not being sure if or when any or all projects would crash.

I've tried 6 different programs, and none do the job I need.

I've but 1 program possibility I'm aware of left to try.

Just praying the last one will do it. If it does, that would figure, the last should have been the first. SNAFU.
    steve