1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vista and asus main boards

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by fastfox, Feb 28, 2007.

1. fastfox

fastfox Member

Just install vista prem on my home built pc running a asus k8v-x se mother board
    Ive attempted to installed the sound drivers but when i run the disc vista says that the software is not supported by this operating system.
    Now you would think it would be a easy job of going onto the asus site and down loading the vista driver....but guess what...no sound driver for this main board running on vista seems to even exist yet...
    Whats the point of have a "multi media" (yes asus thats the key word "multi media" with no poxy sound driver...
    Has anyone else had the same problem and got around it???

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You're blaming the wrong company, as it's microsoft's fault for not getting Vista's specs out to the hardware manufacturers in time.
    Also, check here : http://drivers.softpedia.com/
    Might have some compatible drivers.

If i where you, i'd return that vista and get Windows XP (MCE) instead, because you're going to run into more problems than just this pretty soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  3. fastfox

fastfox Member

I`m prepared for SOME issues with the new vista OS with it being so new but for a basic thing like a sound driver not to be written yet is a pretty snotty thing. Will try the link, though

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

fastfox, that is an old board so won't have up to date drivers. noticed the latest via chipset driver for your board is 4.55 but via's latest chipset driver is 5.10a. with this, don't expect everything to work with vista & board properly

5. fastfox

fastfox Member

Ive got sound! Asus contacted me and told me to pt the driver disc in the machine but not to run it. Instead i was directed to go to device manager and choice to up date from there directing the path for the update to come from the cd and it worked! all drivers that will not update in the normal way can be done like this and for some reason it works

6. fastfox

fastfox Member

this is the email i recieved

Dear Friend :

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is ZYC, and I would be assisting you today.

Sir, no vista driver till now.
    For audio, it is simple, you can go to Vista device manager, find that unknown audio controller, update its driver, than specify the driver path to the motherboard drivers'CD audio folder's SMAXWDM/2K-XP subfolder to finish audio driver installation.

Thank you for using ASUS products and services!

If you have any problem about our products, you can visit our support site below to search the solution at the first time!

http://support.asus.com

ZYC

ASUS Customer Service Center (Beijing)

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Oh.....I guess one of the 30,000 drivers that shipped with Vista didn't work eh?

Not surprising...

Yeah, about 99% of XP's drivers work with Vista. Work better then the betas actually...just extract the drivers from their install packages (exes) to a folder and use Device Manager as ASUS has shown you.

(to extract, use Winrar)

8. fastfox

fastfox Member

yeah, works great! still abit of buming around for a os that ment to be the most "user freandly" os going...
    Still now its all sorted i`m finding vista to be realy good

9. BOB9632

BOB9632 Member

HI JUST GOT YOUR MSG AND THANKS.WHEN YOU INSTALLED VISTA YOU PROBABLY SELECTED A CLEAN INSTALL JUST AS I DID. WHEN I FIRST DID SO I ALSO WAS ABLE TO USE THE INSTALL DISK TO GET THE AUDIO TO WORK, THIS TYPE OF INSTALL LEAVES A LOT OF THE XP BEHIND AND PUTS WINDOW.OLD AS A SAVED FILE. THAT FILE TAKES UP A LOT OF ROOM AND YOU MIGHT CONSIDER REMOVEING IT. I RAN INTO PROBLEMS WITH OTHER HARDWARE THAT REQUIRED MY RE-FORMATING THE HARD DRIVE AND THAN INSTALLING VISTA BACK ON. AT THIS POINT VISTA WILL NOT ALLOW THE ORIGINAL AUDIO DRIVER TO BE INSTILLED. MY ONLY OPTION IS TO WAIT FOR VISTA UPDATE OR A DRIVER DESIGNED FOR THE AUDIO PROGRAM. I FOUND THAT THE INSTALL OF VISTA TOOK 13 GB, YOU MIGHT TAKE A LOOK AND SEE HOW MUCH ROOM WAS TAKEN BY THE PROGRAMS LEFT BEHIND.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

BOB9632, don't post with the caps lock on as is forum rule no no.

11. fastfox

fastfox Member

Hi Bob.When i installed vista i done it as a low level format and with a full version of vista and not the up date version so i dont have the big file "windows old".
    I was able to use the actual driver disc that came with my mother board but had to install the sound driver as i discribe to you in my PP.
    Sinse that, i had no trouble with vista apart from finding out that you HAVE to get a vista anti virus...