1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vista and bittorrents

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by d9jdm, Feb 14, 2007.

1. d9jdm

d9jdm Member

Have recently got a new laptop with vista installed. The problems is that i cannot download any bittorrents.

the torrent clients i have downloaded..bitlord, bitcomet etc... all intall to my machine however when it comes to downloading the client program does not respond?! then the internet browser does the same.

my isp is BTInternet.

where am i going wrong? is it my firewall settings?

any advice greatly appreciated

2. vistap2p

vistap2p Member

I have the same problem, I have also tried opening diffrent ports, turning off firewalls <vistas and McAfee> and cannot find a way around. Someone get us a life line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Welcome to the world of Vista and it's DRM.

4. dimm0wit

dimm0wit Guest

I just got installed BitLord a comp. with Vista; and Vista will NOT let me view the download folder.

According to BitLord it is there, but not even command prompt can access it.

And I have an administrative account.

DRM again?

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Nope, Vista bug.
    Even worse.

6. vilinz1

vilinz1 Member

I have vista and i use utorrent without any problems. I had the download directory proble with bitlord as well.Somehow i was able to make a shortcut to the actuall download folder. Now i only use utorrent

7. dimm0wit

dimm0wit Guest

You can't run a search for any of your downloaded items on Vista; but if you take out your hard drive and run a search on the file structure you will find that all of your BitLord downloads are located at:

"C:\Users\USRNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BitLord\Downloads"

DRM I do believe.

Vista has a list of P2P programs that are supposedly "incompatible" which they have crippled their operations, but there are plenty of workarounds if you look hard enough.

8. carlis

carlis Guest

i have been using zultrax p2p 4.17 with vista but its a free version i need a license key to make it a pro (it works pretty good) i also used bearshare but it won't let me burn unless i buy the songs i can d/l all that i want but burning is a no go.

9. vette74

vette74 Member

Get rid of Vista... go back to XP sp2 or 3

10. pcrazy99

pcrazy99 Regular member

I use Vista Home Premium and I use Azureus with no problems.

11. daexion

daexion Member

I'm currently running Vista with minor annoyances such as having to give myself, on my administrator account no less, full administrative rights to files the OS won't let me have by default.

I'm also running BitLord v1.1 on Vista with little to no problems, and somehow managed to never have files that were downloaded disappear even though I use the default folders in the BitLord program directory for downloads.

I'm going to guess it's because I gave myself full administrative rights to do whatever I wanted with it: it's my computer dammit!

Basically, if you are having a problem with Vista not playing nicely with BitLord v1.1 then go into the file settings for the default BitLord download directory and give the "Users" group full access to that directory, OR just point BitLord to a different download directory.

It doesn't have to do with DRM, it has to do with File access permissions(Read/Write/Execute etc), and how Microsoft is locking the user out of their own computer under the guise of "security".