1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista and Lite-On SOHW-1633S Problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ibjaredu, Jul 5, 2007.

1. ibjaredu

ibjaredu Active member

I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit Edition, I am trying to clean install it but when I boot off the DVD and installation begins the installer says i need an additional Driver for my Lite-On Sohw 1633S Optical drive. Any ideas? . Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. Tical2k7

Tical2k7 Member

Stop using such a piece of shit drive then and buy a newer one.

3. Tical2k7

Tical2k7 Member

edit__

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Wow....can't get any better advice than that for free eh??

We have one of those drives....works awesome!!! Windows hasn't needed a separate CD/DVD driver since the days of 95. The problem lies with Vista and it's setup detection engine.

You can try using a different DVD drive for the time being...if that's available to you. But...now that you see Vista is having problems with something that shouldn't even be an issue...ask yourself, 'are you sure you're ready for Vista?'.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

wow that's so helpful

6. codejunki

codejunki Guest

Hasve to agree with Morph416; this box is Vista 64-bit with a pair of Lite-On DVD-Multi lightscribe's and they were detected with no problem on boot. 64-bit boxes should have more compatability problems than the 32-bit OS, so maybe there is a hardware problem, cable connection, BIOS setting, something along that line...

7. ibjaredu

ibjaredu Active member

Well ,honestly I doubt it is a hardware connection/BIOS issue considering I have installed Windows XP/Linux on my PC before without problems. The Drive is a HP distribution version if that makes any difference.

Here is a Drive test:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  8. codejunki

codejunki Guest

9. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Nah....there's no differences what-so-ever on OEM vs Retail hardware. Just who sells it and who's responsible for the support.

Sames goes for software for that matter.

It is an unusual problem...rare indeed. Like I mentioned before, I've never had any driver needs for a CD/DVD drive since the days of old...and since Vista has better built in support for DVD drives then XP...I still think there's an issue with your Vista DVD. Far as I know, there hasn't been too much more development in drivers for optical drives.

10. ibjaredu

ibjaredu Active member

well the Vista DVD is OEM, I have also tried other distribution's(Ultimate, Business, Basic) but they all give the same error :(

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  11. whompus

whompus Active member

12. ibjaredu

ibjaredu Active member

Thanks for the help, but I have installed the firmware and I still get the error upon Windows Vista installation. Is their any other firmware you recommend I try?