1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista BSOD - what could be causing it?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Blighter, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

Just invested in a £900 laptop and received it 3 days ago. It has been working fine until today.

I went home at lunch and turned it on, and it booted up fine. However, i noticed that my antivirus (NOD32) hadn't started up, whilst everything else had, and it seemed to have finished booting. Also, the internet wasn't loading up any pages (this may be due to the fact that NOD32 was preventing it or something).

So, i rebooted the laptop, and it made it to the desktop. However when it got there, I got a BSOD and it memory dumped followed by a restart. It did this the second time too, only it never even displayed the desktop this time (occurred just as the desktop should be displayed). I haven't been able to get beyond this point since.

I've turned it off at the mains and rebooted around 6 times, and I've had the BSOD everytime. I then tried booting into safe mode, but that booted fine.

Could it be hardware that's causing the crash, or can it only be software? My guess/hope is that it's the NOD32 antivirus. My fear is that it's a bad memory stick or something hardware related as I'm going abroad in a few days and can't really afford to send for repair.

I'll try uninstalling Nod32 now, but i'm back at work at the moment so can't. It's currently worrying me though, so I'm wondering what people think would be causing it?

Many thanks,
    Blighter

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Whats the BSOD say?

3. napky

napky Guest

4. napky

napky Guest

i have nod32 ... I was using norton but it slows my computer because his loading is very slow.... but nod32.. is not giving me problems ... i have a windows xp , 1.5 gb ram , 130 gb hardrive ,desktop,clone,

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Like PEAINAPOD has asked the error screen will give the error code,BSOD by my understanding is caused by software and windows uses the BSOD to protect itself (the OS)from damage

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Thank you scorpNZ!

@napky

If you tell me what he BSOD says I can tell you exactly what is wrong and in many cases how to fix it.

7. napky

napky Guest

LOL ... thanks ... but that post was a mistake that I made ... I was going to make a ""Quote"" and by mistake push ""post Replay "" with out posting anything or erasing anything... tanks my firend my computer is doing great ... hey but i have a question ? ... which is better norton antivirus or nod32 ???

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

NOD32 hands down, theres no contest. Heck if NOD32 and Norton were both in prison Norton would be the one "dropping the soap"! ;) NOD32 is that much better.

9. napky

napky Guest

Thanks peainapod ...I will stay with nod32 then .... :)