1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista OEM vs. Retail

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mrk44, Dec 9, 2007.

1. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I know the licensing is different but...
    If i have the retail version, can i install it on two computers at the same time? What about OEM?

Also, is there a certain number of times it can be installed and activated?

One other thing...What does it mean when OEM is LOCKED to the mobo/system? Can it be reinstalled on that same system again? What about on another system? Can another os be installed on the same system? AND can i format the system i put vista on?

THANKS!

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

No.. and no. One license per computer.

Retail can be activated several times before you have to call MS. OEM, only once.

The OS has files that are locked to the motherboard BIOS. When it goes to install, it reads that file, compares it to the system. If they match, it installs... if not, well.

Yes. As many times as you see fit to call MS to get it activated again.

Changing the motherboard constitutes a "new" system. Just let MS know that's what you did.

Yes.

The question is... why couldn't you?

3. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Thanks a lot.

For the last question though, i mean can i format the OEM one because i thought since it is locked, i can only install one OS on that system forever.

Also, for the second to last question, i meant another OS installed at the same time as the system with OEM.

Thanks for the info!