1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista Start Menu?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by dsgtrain, Mar 2, 2007.

1. dsgtrain

dsgtrain Regular member

I’ve just got a laptop with Vista Home Basic installed. As you do I made 2 user accounts (for me and my brother – I’m the admin) and then loaded it up with essential software in my user. I sorted it all in the start menu into categories by just dragging and dropping. Then when I logged into my brothers user none of it was there (but it’s all still there in my user). Is there any way of copying it all over?

Dave

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

You sure can...

For the most part, Vista is similar to XP...you have user start menus, and you have ALL user start menus.

Personal start menus: Local Drive\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

Everyone's start menu: Local Drive\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

If you drag/drop icons to the Start Menu folder, it will show up on the start menu itself. You have to drag/drop them to the Programs folder...or create a new folder under it as you can see the others already there.

3. dsgtrain

dsgtrain Regular member

I Can't find the 'Program Data' folder in C:\ (the drive windows is installed on).

EDIT: Cant find it in the Program Files folder either.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Open up Explorer.

Go to Tools, Folder Options.

Click on View.

Check "Show hidden files and folders"..uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

You should now be able to see them. Other folders will appear under your user name as you use them. Videos..Pictures, etc.