1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista To XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by chrissybb, Nov 3, 2007.

1. chrissybb

chrissybb Member

Hello. I just recently changed from Windows Vista to XP. The reinstall worked fine, but I have a little problem. My local disk is now 'I' and I want to change back to 'C'. Is there any way of doing that without doing a reinstall again? I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks so much

2. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Go to Control Panel->administrative Tools->Computer Management. Then click on "Disk Management". In the right windows you should see a list of your drives. Right click your I: drive and choose change drive letters/path and click change and choose a letter. That should it. Be sure you don't have something else set as C: drive. Hope this helps.

3. jony218

jony218 Guest

Is your windows xp booting up? If it is you might have to leave it where it is. If you change your system drive letter, it might prevent your computer from booting up. The registry is tied to the drive letter, during bootup the registry expects to find the startup files in the drive that it was installed in. If windows xp was originally installed in I: drive, and you change the drive letter to c:, thers a good chance the registry will get confused and not boot.