1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista Ultimate: Can't copy folders/files off of cd to install hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by NITRO1250, Jul 7, 2007.

1. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

I encountered this problem when I tried to copy a burned folder (with files) to the hard drive in which I have installed Vista Ultmate to. I also cannot copy the folder to ANY place in the hard drive in which I installed Vista Ultimate, which I found out later on.

What I need to know is how I can copy the files/folders from recordable media to my hard drive.

Specs of accounts: only 1 account; I have made myself the administrator. I checked and I have "full" read/write/etc for the hard drive.

Yes, I know Vista isn't all there yet, that is why I am dual booting with XP Pro SP2. I just thought I would say that incase I get people that say "go back to XP" or something to that effect. I am testing Vista Ultimate.

If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. It isn't a hard drive space issue (just remembered) because I have 100GB free in the drive I installed to, but I also have like... oh... 300GB free in other areas of my computer.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Don't know exactly what problem you have...since you don't mention any details of what's happening.

However....boot to XP. Copy the files to the Vista partition either from the CD drive, or copy them to the XP partition first, then over to Vista.

3. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

Sorry, I thought I was clear.

When I drag media off of the removable media (cd/dvd) it calculates the time to transfer the media then finds the files and file size total. The dialogue box then disappears. Happens every time.

4. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

OH for the love of God! It actually transfered the media off of my DVD drive, but NOT my CD drive... oh good greif. Can anyone tell me why Vista hates CD drives?

5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Since it's release...Google has more than likely archived about 15 BILLION pages of reasons why Vista sucks.

6. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

LOL! I got the picture. Thanks for your assistance. What a mystery. One reason why I am only testing and leaving XP Pro on my primary drive!

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Of course, I missed the obvious.... you didn't happen to try and copy those files from a DVD on a CD drive? If so...that's why Vista didn't recognize it.

8. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

No no. I was copying files from a burned cd to my desktop from my CD drive. It works if I put the CD in my DVD drive, but it won't with my CD drive for some reason...