1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista + vsodivxtodvd + ashampoo = voices off???

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by christy1, Aug 16, 2007.

1. christy1

christy1 Member

I just got a new laptop with a tsst (toshiba + samsung) dvdrw drive and it also has Vista home premium on it. I d/l a AVI file, converted it to ts with VSOdivxtoDVD then burned it with Ashampoo burning studio (version 6.10) I played the movie back on a stand alone dvd player and the voices were off at least 1-2 seconds. Is there a fix for this and what part of the operation could cause this (assuming the avi file was fine in the first place)

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Most of the time the problem occurs during the avi to dvd conversion. Usually ConvertX keeps stuff in sync pretty well compared to some other converters. What can you do about it?

- Redo
    - Redo with a different program
    - use a program like Video Redo, VirtualDub to resync
    - get a dvd player that plays divx so you don't have to convert

It's possible that a less than stellar burn on less than stellar quality media could create a problem, but this isn't the most likely cause.

Edit: text added below

I guess I should have added that sometimes DVD players get the AV out of sync on playback. This can usually be solved by just stopping restarting the DVD playback. That probably isn't your problem though.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  3. christy1

christy1 Member

That is very interesting. I do however have a divx player (does that mean I can burn a avi and watch it on it?) If so, what program do you suggest to burn avi files?

On my desktop I have converted hundreds of movies and I always use vsodivxtodvd with no problems, as far as I know I put the same version I have on my desktop on my laptop. I think I might use the same media and convert with the same program on my desktop instead of the laptop and see if it does the same thing.

Thanks for your very much for your indepth response.

4. christy1

christy1 Member

Oh, and do you have a link to that convertx software you mentioned? I would like to try that also. thanx

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

ConvertXtoDVD is just the updated divxtodvd. It's by VSO. As you stated it usually does a bang up job. It's on sale at a discount through the end of the August. There's a sticky post on one of the forums about it. I'd guess it's the converter of choice around here. The trial version watermarks output but is otherwise fully functional I think.

Just burn AVIs as data dvds with Nero or whatever burning software you have. As long as the AVI doesn't contain a strange codec that your player doesn't recognize, you should be able to view it.

6. christy1

christy1 Member

Thats great about the avi thing. I have been wondering for a while how to do that, and yes I do normaly use Nero but it wont work on vista.
    I got that convertX and reencoded the same avi I had and it worked flawlessly. I let that program burn it too (instead of ashampoo which I had intended to do) The old vso dosent burn, that was new to me. Thanks again.

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You're welcome. I think here's some free burners. Search the tubes for "free dvd burner for Vista". Won't Ashampoo burn data DVDs? I thought it did for some reason. Only the latest versions of Nero 7 are compatible with Vista.

8. christy1

christy1 Member

Yes, ashampoo works, but the version of convertx burned it somehow. As for nero 7 I hear it is a bit@h to get working and then it might not work. I burned one with ashampoo but that one came out, out of sync (probibly the verson of vso I had first and not ashampoo) I am going to keep ashampoo on my laptop though.

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I was referring to burning the AVIs as a data disk for your standalone to play directly. I got the impression you were concerned about being able to burn the AVIs as data. It takes time to do the conversion to DVD.

Nero 7 works fine for the most part. There are some versions that are buggy but most of the later versions are a-ok. I've used both N6 and N7 without many problems although there are other programs I prefer to use for some tasks.