1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VLC on new W2K3 install won't play some files?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by nania, Jan 22, 2008.

1. nania

nania Member

I thought this player would play 95% of everything you find but I can't even play a single file. This is a new OS install and I haven't configured or run Windows Media Player so I'm thinking this may be the problem. I'd rather not have to use WMP because of the security issues so how can I get VLC to work?

2. nania

nania Member

I just noticed that alot of the videos I tried opening in VLC were .rm files. I also didn't install any codecs or filters. Will VLC work with the realalternative filter? What are the recommended filter/codecs to accompany this player?

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Use real-alternative for rm files.. vlc will play them, but only if it's patched or tweaked about quite a bit.. even then the playbeck is patchy.. or convert them ;)

There is a note on the vlc site about older os problems.. which may or may not be relevant to 2003..

Looking at am rmvb file I have here.. It will not play in mine either.. audio codec is cook.. video codec is RV40

4. nania

nania Member

varnull
    Thanks for the response. I'm getting playback on about half of my stuff now. Does ffdshow work with VLC?