1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VM signal strength????

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by goldram, Nov 9, 2011.

1. goldram

goldram Member

I just wondered if anyone could help me, iv just had a new subbed box installed today,as my old one was playing up, so i had the idea to have it up and running at the same time as my KV, so used 3 way splitter to do it(1 to modem, 1 to KV, and the other to the new subbed box), but my signal strength has droppedand started gliching on some of the channels.
    So ive had the idea to use a TV booster(which i havent got yet)...... now would it be ok to insert it before the cable goes to the modem, or put it just on the TV channels cables, after the splitter...
    Hope this isnt a daft question, but i dontwant to knacker the modem up, in case it conflicts with it.......Many thanks in advance....

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

You have answered your own question, the splitting, once you split a signal, this will drop the signal level, you have split the signal 3 times, your gonna see a reduction and get the glitching, signal on the krypt should be about 75% approx, you dont say which box is glitching, i am presuming its the Krypt, your signal coming in could be weak or your split could be weak, plug in the krypt on its own, no splitters and check the signal level, if its anything below say, 65% or lower on the chans then its a weak signal combined with splitting, Dont start buying boosters, ring your provider and tell them your having signal issues, thats why your paying them

Glitching happens with a signal thats weak or a signal thats to0 strong, signal of 80% or higher causes it also

3. goldram

goldram Member

Thanks for your reply Mikah,sorry it was the KV gliching,as you said, so tried each one on its own,and their all fine, even the internet is fine too,in fact the KV signal is at 72/79%on all the channels...and no gliching at all, the subbed box fine...
    So plugged splitter back in....subbed box is fine,internet fine...as for the KV, most are ok,about 3/4 of the channels 2bh, but some gliching with the signal varying from 22% to 45% on the bad ones, hope the info is of help for you so you can advise more....
    I just let you know that i was gonna borrow a booster to check first Mikah....im too careful with my money for that!!!!!, too hard earned eh?....lol... Many thanks again

4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Not sure what splitter your using, if its a plastic cheap one, get rid, get a decent one, pref the screw connections on it, which insure a tight connection also check your cables, replace them if needed, get proper sealed cables and make sure they are connected tightly, remember the more breaks in the connection (splitters, joiners), reduces signal and increases signal noise on the line,

Something like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are using the above and the cables in good order, then its your signal coming in,I suggest you ring the provider and tell them your signal is breaking up, there could be another issue outside that is causing it, your paying for this service, let them fix it

5. goldram

goldram Member

Hiya Mikah...sorry for not replying back sooner.....believe it or not had problems with my internet,sods law eh?, so not had any for a few days(been a nightmare not getting to view the adult sites!!!!!only joking..;-)...lol)..any road up...im finally sorted, i was using the connection/splitter as in your piccy, but a cheaper one, it cost me about 2 quid , so i went for one a bit dearer, and put in a annuater to even the signal out...its fine now, both boxes perfect picture now..again thanks for your advice...and keep up the brill work you all do on here, i do read most days just to keep up with everything whats happening and to see if i can learn anything..."knowledge is power"..or summat like that... Thank you...

6. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

No probs mate, glad I could help