1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VOB & AVI onto DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dataport, Jun 30, 2007.

1. dataport

dataport Member

I have a (Phillips) DIVX Player. Am trying to figure out how to burn 2 movies onto a DVD-R without having to burn them into a DVD format that takes 3-4 hours.

One is a standard AVI (I normally burn these using Nero DVD Data).

The second is IFO/BUP/VOB.

How can I burn both onto a single disk.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You do not say what model your Philips player is. I have an Ellion DV-520C player (Chinese) and it can play VOBs directly from a disk burned as a data disk. If you know that your Philips player can play MPG files as well as AVIs from a data disk, you could try renaming the .vob file so it has an .mpg extension.

If you use a DVD-RW disk you can experiment without wasting disks.

If it is the DVP-642 it can play mpeg1 and mpeg2 files so you should be OK with the VOB if you rename it to mpg. I have Googled and found that some folks say that it plays vob files directly but the audio is missing, so maybe the rename is a good idea to try.

Other people say that normal VOB structured mpeg2 files play just fine. So use an RW disk and try 'em out is my advice.

3. dataport

dataport Member

Great Idea. It's a Phillips DVP-5140, and so far plays just about everything thrown at it - well worth the $45 cost.

I'll burn the VOB - both as it is and another file after renaming it to MPG onto a DVD-R. It's worth the cost of a disk to see if this works, and will report back.

Am also doing a VOB-DIVX conversion to AVI using AutoGK, and will burn that onto the disk also to see if there's any quality issues amongst the 3 files.

4. dataport

dataport Member

Results. Again, have a Philips 5140/DIVX Player.

Using Nero DVD Data:

> VOB extensions burned worked great.

> Renamed VOB to a MPG file - played great.

> Used AutoGK to convert VOB to AVI, then burned. worked great.

In all cases, both video/sound were in-sync...and the entire burning took less than 10 min.

Thx for this great tip Indochine - would never had thought I could burn a VOB directly to a DVD-R and have it play.

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Glad it worked. You couldn't do it on a bog standard DVD player, but the new generation that play asf, avi, mpeg, wmv, etc are very versatile.

After all, a standard VOB file is just an mpeg2 file that has been named to fit the mid 1990s DVD standard for authored DVDs.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  6. dataport

dataport Member

While you know this already Indochine, wanted to make one further comment for anyone else reading this thread.

I merely used Nero/DVD Data function and burned the VOB file only. I didn't have to do anything with the IFO/BUP files that come with the movie.

Am in love with this Philips 5140 - it's cheap cost has cut burning time down to nothing...and quality is equal to full DVD burns.