1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.vob files too big

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Gran-Pa, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Gran-Pa

Gran-Pa Member

I've contacted Daewoo, who made my DVD player, and they've told me that my player will only play .vob files. What a pain in the ****. I've got Nero VisionExpress that turns .avi and .mpg into .vob files, but that doesn't help much when the file it outputs is too large to fit on to a DVD.

2. malum

malum Regular member

How big are they?

I assume that you know how to use IFOedit to create IFO's for the VOB's?
    Having done this put them in a folder called VIDEO_TS then run the whole thing through DVD2one to bring it down to the right size.

You could also re-encode them but the above is the simplest and quickest method

3. dwoman

dwoman Member

I hope this is on the same topic - I am a real newbie.

I've used Nero 5.9.9.9 to translate an AVI file & try to burn an SVCD on a CD. It did the translation to a temp file (for over 2 hrs) and was ready for a blank disc, but with all the CD-R, CD-RW & DVD-Rs I've tried, I get the same message - 'media too small'. It seems to want to put 774 mgb onto the disc. I did originally set it to make it fit but...

Now the program is closed & the temp file has been deleted. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2003
  4. malum

malum Regular member

AFAIK you can't burn SVCD files onto a DVD (well you can but it won't play)

774 mb should fit on a CD

5. dwoman

dwoman Member

Thanx for your response. The DVD was a desparate last attempt. The CDs I have are all lower x-speeds than my new burner - could that be the problem? The highest I have is max 24x, & my burner is 48x24x48x.

Or is there a way to split the AVI file into 2? Or even 3? I want to keep the highest video quality. (Since I wrote this, I am experimenting w/ Adobe Premiere to trim down the length, but any other suggestions would be welcome).

6. Gran-Pa

Gran-Pa Member

Malum I know nothing about IFOedit, but I had a few VIDEO_TS created by Nero VisionExpress, I put these through DVD2one. Nero made six files when it encoded my .avi file and put them into the VIDEO_TS folder, when I put this folder through DVD2one I only had files and no folder in the destination directory. I put these files into a new VIDEO_TS folder with the missing file from the original VIDEO_TS folder. It worked fine as far as video is concerned, but no sound.

7. malum

malum Regular member

I don't work with AVI files but to be DVD compliant the sound needs to be 48Khz avi sound is 44Khz.

You need to convert it which isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

How big are your avi files? Can you not put them on a VCD or SVCD?

If you want to know how to get an avi onto a dvd there is a guide here

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/convert

and

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/vcddvdr