1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.vob to .avi (uncompressed)-PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by bdey01, Dec 16, 2002.

1. bdey01

bdey01 Member

I am having a heck of a time finding how to convert a DVD that I own from the .vob format to .avi. I have ripped the DVD to my hard drive and now want to edit some of the scenes and add in some of the deleted scenes from the DVD extras section to make the movie more like how I want it. However, I cannot get the files from .vob to .avi. I have ripped the files with SmartRipper, and I have 160 GB of free HD space, so uncompressed .avi is no problem, and I know that DVD's themselves are in a compressed format, but I don't like DivX and just want the thing in an uncompressed format so I can fiddle with it in Premiere. I don't really want to use dvd2avi and the psuedo .avi method either. Many others have asked for help with this, but there never seems to be an answer that I am satisfied with, just some advice about using dvd2avi or something. Someone, anyone, please help me transform my .vob files to .avi!

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 16, 2002
  2. Stealth

Stealth Member

www.vcdhelp.com

3. moiself

moiself Member

Use Superdvdripper 1.62 - just run this in google & U'll find it & use the wizzard. Or use MPEGDirectMaker4

4. Sondra

Sondra Member

I converted some VOB files directly to AVI 2 with a WIN DVD Creator demo, complete with audio and video in one step--but not very well. The two minute one is fine. The 7 minute and 17 minute ones have a freeze frame about 5 minutes in that lasts for the rest of the video, although the audio is fine throughout.

The demo froze when I tried to edit with it. Pinnacle Studio 8 wouldn't open the AVIs. They play fine in Premiere when they're rendered. No other straightforward AVI has had to be rendered in Premiere.

I'll try SuperDVDRipper.

I'm just wondering, if WinDVD Creator can do the whole thing in one step, however poorly, why do other programs make it so complicated?

5. Hurley97

Hurley97 Guest

I use a program called eXstream MPEG that I downloaded from http://download.com/ and it works really well. Easy to understand and use format and you have the option of what kind of file you export. Ex: RAW AVI (uncompressed), Divx, Xvid, ect. The program is freeware and it works real well. Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2003
  6. Sondra

Sondra Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up eXstream reviews and saw that, while some thought the video quality was fine and others didn't like it, everybody said the AVIs end up silent.

I looked in Google and found that the author of the program changed the name to MPEG-mediator, and it's a free download at mpeg-mediator.com, so I'm going to try that one.