1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VOB to DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by monday, Oct 6, 2002.

1. monday

monday Guest

I was able to decrypt a dvds vob files onto my harddrive. I have merged the vob files to make 1 single vob. If i write this onto a dvd-r Will it play on a standard dvd player? If not what format does standard dvd players play on ?

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

No!!! For a dvd to work, it must be the same as the original. VOB files shouldn't be more than 1 gig either.

I dont rip to dvd burners (must try it) but I believe you will need ifoedit and to re-encode your vob's so that they'll fit on a dvd-r

3. monday

monday Guest

My vob file is over 7 gigs, i think all i need to do is re-encode the vob to a different format that standard dvd players can read - but i dont know what format standard players play in. I have DVD decryptor and TMPGenc. what else will need?

4. Dela

Don't worry, most of this is like Japanese to me aswell. However you can check out http://www.afterdawn.com/dvd/ for your solution (hopefully anyway!)

5. monday

monday Guest

I just don't understand what format dvd players play in. I have learned that VOB files need to be encoded to mpeg-2 to reduce the file size so it can be written on a 4.7gig disc. But will this play on a standard DVD player?

6. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

If the files that you ripped from the disc are over 4.37g, then you will need to use Ifoedit(a program you can download here) to edit the files. Then you can use Rempeg or Tmpg to reencode. But then you still aren't ready to burn to DVD-R as you need to remux the files using Ifoedit again. There are several steps to complete and even then sometimes things don't go as planned. I suggest you do some more research. This is a great site, another is Doom9.org. Good luck!

7. monday

monday Guest

I have heard that IFoedit isn't compatible with windows XP. What other type of software can i use? What does remuxing files acually do to the file? And the dvd is under 4.3gigs so will i still need to remux it.

8. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

I have xp and Ifoedit works fine for me. Try this if it starts giving you problems: right click on Ifoedit, click properties, click compatibility and set to Windows NT, then click apply. You shouldn't have any more problems then.

As far as I know there are no other programs you can use instead of Ifoedit.

When you use Rempeg to rencode the VOB files, you end up with one or more MPEG files. When you use Ifoedit to remux the MPEG files, you end up with smaller VOB files. I don't know anything more specific.

When you say the DVD is smaller than 4.3 you mean after you ripped the files that you want?
    Or that the original DVD is under 4.3G?
    If the latter then you can do a str8 copy using only DVDdecrypter. If the former than you don't have to remux, BUT!, you still need to use Ifoedit to make the DVD-R play in your stand alone. Check out the Ifoedit guide at www.doom9.org.

Also, you need more than .VOB files to create a DVD-R so make sure you rip all the files you need.

9. monday

monday Guest

The VOB file i have is under 4.3gigs. After using IFOedit to remux the file can i write onto a dvd?

10. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

VOB files should be 1G each. Then you still need relevant *.IFO &*.BUP. Check out http://www.doom9.org and go to guides. That should get you pointed in the right direction.

11. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

Files that you must have in a folder named VIDEO_TS if you want DVD_R to play in your stand alone:
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_**_*.IFO
    VTS_**_*.BUP
    VTS_**_1.VOB
    VTS_**_2.VOB (as many .VOB files that are relevent)

All of these files can be found on the DVD. So you see, there is more to it than just the .VOB files?

12. monday

monday Guest

i have 1 vob file i think dvd decryptor merged my vob files. I dont have the rest of the files "BUP", "IFO". Can i rip these files from the same dvd without ripping the vob file which i already have? and how big are the BUP and IFO files.

13. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

DVDDecrypter will rip any file you want off of the dvd. Select file mode. IFO & BUP files range is size. I suggest that you rip the .VOB files again and leave them size wise as they are on the dvd. It doesn't take that long;). Make sure that you rip ALL the files that I listed or you'll be burning drink coasters and receiving a lot of error messages.

14. viojack

viojack Member

yes,please read that doom9 guide,its the best way to back up a dvd,it helped me to get started,only i kept having problems with nero burning my first disc so i use instant cd/dvd. now i have a question,anyone know how to make a 100% complient dvd that will play in a playstation 2?

15. monday

monday Guest

I have heard that Primo Prassi authoring software is needed to make a disc image from the original disc, then writen onto disc. You must also have a mod chip.

16. harvey713

harvey713 Member

SmartRipper+ReMPEG2+IfoEdit+ SpruceUp+Nero5.5.9.14=Success

Last edited: Oct 12, 2002
  17. zhaozlong

zhaozlong Member

smart ripper....open IFO in FlaskMPEG. encode to MPEG-2.....for good quality and under 4.7 file size use CBR 4500000-5000000 and make sure you only encode as many frames as needed.

18. monday

monday Guest

so all i need to do with the files that are ripped is encode the ifo to m-peg2. Then write to dvd-r

19. Dela

Im not sure that would work with the old ifo file but if you make a new one that should be it!

20. madmaxY

madmaxY Member

ok, here is what I do to backup :) a legal copy
    of my, um dvds because I dont live in the USA and I can legally backup my legally owned originals. Did I mention legal?

STEP 1 – making it smaller
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/
    -most movies are 6-8GB so have dvddecrypter
    split the .VOB into 2 files (two .VOBs)
    -the downside is you have to burn it to 2 DVD-Rs, but Princo DVD-Rs are cheap at
    http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merch...Code=R&Product_Code=1636-100&Category_Code=GU

STEP 2 – actually this goes with step 1
    and some of my forum posts that will help with audio
    http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=929&s=c50b7cdcca3459cdb00c012b8bd894de

STEP 3 – burning to the DVD-R 4.7GB
    http://www.vob.de/us/products/consumer/InstantCD/index.htm
    I am testing this program now (smart Germans)
    Comparable programs can’t even touch this,
    not even the $500-$600 programs can.
    This thing does it all.

STEP 4 - I dont re-encode the .VOB file since I
    dont have 30+ hours to wait, so I bought an
    ATI 8500DV All-In-Wonder video card ($200)
    which is now my dedicated machine for Movies
    alone. Watching a pure .VOB file on my TV using this card is beautiful.

STEP 5 - I use WINDVD4 to watch my .VOB DVDs,
    saves time, looks great

P.S. I am not an ATI fan at all since I am a gamer and their drivers usually suck, but the 8500DV card cant be beat if you have TV OUT needs.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2002