1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vob to ifo?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bellaroo, Dec 12, 2004.

1. bellaroo

bellaroo Member

I have a few movies, ripped using smartripper, that i have collected onto my computer, awaiting me finally getting round to purchasing a dvd-r drive. Now i have purchased and connected the drive, I have searched the guides, and found nothing that helps me get from the vob stage to the ifo stage.
    DVDDecryptor only recognises files from the hard drive if they are ifos. I have both DVD9's and DVD5's (under 4.7GB) all in vob format stored on the hard drive.
    Can someone please direct me to the next stage to converting and burning these backups to DVD?

Also could someone direct me to a guide for copying DVDs with multiple films, such as simpsons, etc.

Thank you so much.

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Ok looks like you need to get those VOB files into an ISO(not IFO) to burn with Decrypter.
    Well let's get the proper programs. First we need DVD Shrink......
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_shrink.cfm

Then we need DVD Decrypter.....
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

After installing them both you need to open up those Vob,Ifo, and Bup files in DVD Shrink. Simply click the open files button and then you get the window to search for your files. What comes next really depends on what you want your finished product to be.
    Here are some guides for using Shrink and some of it's features.......
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php
    Now when it comes time to click backup, if we want to use Decrypter, we must make sure that we select "ISO Image File and burn with Decrypter" for DVD Shrink to auto burn your output with Decrypter.

3. bellaroo

bellaroo Member

Thank you for that. I installed DVDShrink successfully. Tried to open the folder where the backup is stored, and got an error message 'failed to open video_ts.ifo'. Looking into the folder the ifo file is there but called vts_02_0.ifo. What should i do now?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Instead of hiting open files in Shrink just simply click on Re-author and browse to your movie in the right window. Once you found it drag it to the right window. For more indepth and pictures on doing this check out mt first guide on my website. Just skip down to where you start using Shrink (step 11) seeing how you already have the files on your HD. This should help you out a bunch. http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/ aslo at that sight I have a guide that shows you how to join 2 or more movies together. This will help you with those Simpson episodes.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  5. bellaroo

bellaroo Member

Thank you. Tried that, and still having problems. When opening the folder there is no list of files, only an empty folder, as if the file types are not recognised.
    The files i have for each film on my hard drive are: vts_01_0.ifo; vts_01_1.vob (etc); vts_01.lst; vts_01.idx; and vts_01.d2v. DVDShrink seems to want files named video_ts.ifo etc. If i renamed the ifo file to video_ts what should i name the vobs? video_ts_01??

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I don't believe simply renaming your files is going to help. Your best option now for these file is to use NVE neroVisionExpress. If you don't have Nero you can download a 30 trial version to do what you need. For future reference try ripping your movie to your HD using Decrypter and follow my guide for ripping the main movie at the website I provided earlier and you won't run into this problem again. :)

Merry X-Mas All !!

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Normally the files you would need are
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.VOB the 01 could be 02 or 03 whatever the main movie is.
    VTS_01_1.VOB and so on

Those are the minimum required for Shrink to open the main movie. If you have all the .VOB's though NVE will work :) I sure hope this helps you. You could try doing the renaming but I would suggest copy the files to a different folder first an then play around with the copied files that way you wouldn't hurt anything. It can't hurt to try :)