1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.VOB to Psp

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by bigman222, Apr 27, 2005.

1. bigman222

bigman222 Member

I have a buch of movies on my computer of of DVD shrink, they are in the form of .VOB and there are a bunch of files not just one. How can i get them into .MP4 for my PSP?

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The purpose of DVD Shrink is to reduce a DVD-9 (9 GB) VOB set to a DVD-5 one (< 5 GB) by 'shrinking' the VOB set (losing a very little quality due to the 'shrinking'), so if you don't have a dual-layer DVD burner you can make a DVD-5 backup of your DVD-9. Its purpose is not to convert a VOB set into a MPEG4. You can use DVD Shrink only as ripper (but DVD Decrypter is better...). The VOB --> MPEG4 conversion is another issue....
    Alas, I don't make that stuff. You could test Xilisoft DVD Ripper (http://www.tomdownload.com/multimedia_design/video/xilisoft_dvd_ripper.htm) ot search a 'VOB to MPEG4' issue on Google, Yahoo...
    Or you might ask to the DVD forums here in Afterdawn. This is not my subject (this forum's name is 'AVI to DVD' not 'DVD to AVI').

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  3. bigman222

bigman222 Member

ya i've been looking around havn't solved it yet but i'll keep trying, this just seemed like the most relevent forum for this question

4. davo77

davo77 Member

you need a program to encode these to mpeg4, you can use Nero, if you browse this site there are several guides to follow. I would suggest using nero to encode it, its very easy to use. even after you have encoded the file it will still be pretty big and you will need a pretty big memory stick to put a long film on.

I imagine that you could fit a small film on a 512mb stick but if you want to be watching a long film like The Godfather or something you are going to need more storage space. Either that or compress the video further losing loads of quality.

I do not have a PSP but i am thinking of getting one. i am put off by the lack of storage space though. it seems shocking that you can get 60 gig in an ipod these days and yet this new machine needs expensive add ons for you to even play 1 film

5. Skygunner

Skygunner Member

The method I use for DVD to PSP is ....
    #1.I use Handbrake for OS X to convert a DVD or Vob files to a mp4 file.
    #2.Then I send the mp4 file over to my PC.
    #3.Last I use PSP Video 9 to transfer the file to the PSP.
    Done
    Doing it this way looks fantastic on the PSP

6. cmmnsense

cmmnsense Guest

Use PSP video 9 to convert .vob to Mpeg-4. It works just fine and allows you to adjust further specs for your conversion. Widescreen .vob does not work though, on the psp it becomes widescreen within widescreen and is junk, I have yet to find a solution to this. I put regular dislay .vob on the psp and keep the regular display (a black bar on right and left side of screen) so that the image isn't strecthed.

7. mpapa

mpapa Guest

8. sljusevi

sljusevi Guest

i only gotta mac how am i suposed to get videos for my psp?

9. cmmnsense

cmmnsense Guest

Buy a PC w/windows and don't ever make that mistake again.

10. sljusevi

sljusevi Guest

hhmmmm.....nah ill youst keep trying with my beloved mac
    GO APPLE lol

11. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Nero Recode 2 worked pretty well for me. The screen size is smaller than retail movies for the PSP and the audio is not as loud. The process is simple though and puts it directly on the PSP. Great video quality!

12. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

cmmnsense - I tried using PSP Video 9, but it looks like you can only select one .vob file at a time. The movie is comprised of multiple .vob files. It looked to me like the program was designed for home movies or small files that would only create one .vob file.

Am I doing something wrong?

13. traxxx

traxxx Guest

Use DVDDecrypter and change the IFO file splitting option in the settings from 1G to none. Then it will decrypt the movie into one large .VOB file.

14. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Thanks, that works perfectly!