1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VOB/VTS TO Roku friendly Format

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by KraZvideo, Dec 10, 2015.

1. KraZvideo

KraZvideo Member

Greeting Afterdawners,

I have received lots of great help from this site through the years, beginning with converting VHS to digital, then DVD through DVD Shrink.

Lately I've been using DVDFab Passkey, the paid version, to open DVDs and then convert them through Shrink to the VTS/VOB format.

My problem:

I have tons of my movies in this format. I've been playing them through WDTV Live Plus, this is my third WDTV product and the WD stuff is just not very responsive. I've used it for my grandchildren to stream Netflix, and it's always seizing, needing to be reset etc., so I've gone to a Roku 3. The problem is Roku won't play the VTS files. So, I'm looking for software to convert the VTS to the most user friendly Roku video file format. I'd like something that can handle the conversion that's fast, that can handle batch tranfers, small files, and preferably, something free. Is that too much to ask? Ha!

Thanks in advance for all responses and if there's a thread already up somewhere, apologies for starting this one.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Does the device list the containers and codecs it supports?
    AVI. MKV, XviD,mpeg2, AC3 etc???

3. KraZvideo

KraZvideo Member

Only MKV, MOV and MP4

This was the reason I stayed with WD for so long. It plays almost all formats but is really a bad product.

4. attar

attar Senior member

DVD format files consist of mpeg2 video and (typically) ac3 audio - but can the device handle the mpeg2 and ac3 once in the mkv container.
    If not, the files have to be converted to something it will accept - does the manual not state explicitly what codecs are acceptable?
    Here's a short MKV with mpeg2 video and ac3 audio.

https://www.mediafire.com/?jbj9cp8zl28pp4r

5. KraZvideo

KraZvideo Member

Thanks for the responses.
    I did some research on the Ruku site. The forums there are filled with requests for them to support the TS format.
    It seems Handbrake is the tool of choice to convert, but I've found it to be slow.
    Right now, I'm going to hook my WDTV back up, reset it to factory settings, which will eliminate all of my Internet accounts and I'll just use it to play videos from my hard drive. The WDTV does a pretty good job on playing those files. It's the Internet accounts, youtube, netflix etc, that are cumbersome for WDTV.

If anyone is looking for a product JUST to stream, then Roku is by far the way to go. It is SO much faster than WDTV.

Thanks again,